1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

reality hits Decatur Daily, TimesDaily in Alabama

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2underpar, May 6, 2011.

1. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

my pipeline indicating hourly employees slashed to 37.5-hour work weeks;
    managers will take a one-week furlough between now and Sept. 30.

On the bright side, no layoffs and papers were lauded for their tireless efforts providing tornado coverage.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

At least now everyone will get to go home at 4:30 every afternoon.

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

While that sucks indeed, at least there were no layoffs. Yet.

rb

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

apparently, managers will also get a furlough week in the first quarter of 2012.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Stick it to the man and take your furlough during the Northwest Regional Basketball Tournament.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is this the latest in a series of continuing cutbacks at the paper? Otherwise, a 6 percent pay cut and no job losses, five years after the meltdown started, does not closely resemble the version of "reality sets in" elsewhere in the newspaper world.

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

LTL, I believe they had some job losses when the Decatur Daily bought the TimesDaily from the NYT Regional Group. So, yeah ...

rb

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

OK -- I guess it is just becoming a pet peeve of mine to see every single pay or job adjustment anywhere around the nation show up here for discussion, the national unemployment rate is 9 percent and some of these happenings are really not all that significant in the grand scheme of things.

10. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

LTL -- not significant? tell that to the hourly people who are getting their hours cut while being asked to do more with less and vacancies have gone unfilled.
    6 percent might not be a lot to you, but I have a feeling it is to some people who struggle to make ends meet.

11. At least they were lauded.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice...

Draft saved Draft deleted