1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Realignment gone crazy -- Sun Belt style

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NDJournalist, Mar 26, 2013.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Color me shocked.

And I guess you're not taking Moddy's advice to heart, are you?

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And when you're done doing that, fetch me a beer, noob.

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I don't know what HanSen likes, but I'd like a Bud Light while you're over there.

4. I have a soft spot for NMSU. Just a university trying to keep up with the smallest of the big boys.

5. apeman33

I'm old enough to remember New Mexico State in the Missouri Valley. Has it ever been in a conference where it fits well?

6. The WAC when it first joined.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Valley had some odd football alignments in the 70s. Schools that played at least one season in the league in that decade included NMSU, Tulsa, Memphis, Louisville, West Texas A&M, Drake, North Texas, Wichita State, Southern Illinois and Indiana State. Cincinnati was a member in the 60s.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

New Mexico State, in a perfect world, would be in a conference with New Mexico, UTEP or both. From what I've been told, both have blocked NMSU from the MWC and C-USA, respectively. Otherwise, they're always going to be an odd duck.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Did you see their center in the WAC tournament or the first round of the NCAAs? Sim Bhullar ... 7-foot-5, 360 lbs. ... and a freshman.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The were also in the Big West for awhile in the 80s and 90s, before the Big West got out of the football business, IIRC.

11. His brother is 7-3 and a junior in high school.

12. apeman33

This just broke: Oral Roberts University in "preliminary" talks with the Missouri Valley.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=234&articleid=20130326_234_0_TheMis322605

The article also says Valpo, Denver and Belmont are also in the running to replace Creighton.

ORU is another of those schools that have been all over the place conference-wise. Heck, it even spent some time in the NAIA.

Draft saved Draft deleted