1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Real Wrestling, Real Story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Mar 21, 2016.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Kyle Snyder’s legend grows with epic NCAA heavyweight title

On a loud night at Madison Square Garden in New York, the 20-year-old Ohio State sophomore trailed a titan of the sport by three points with 30 seconds left in the third and final period. Then Snyder, already the youngest American world champion, kept his head about him while making 19,270 spectators pretty much lose theirs, rallying for a 7-5 overtime win over N.C. State’s Nick Gwiazdowski, who had won his previous 88 matches and the previous two NCAA titles.
    He scored one point on an escape, then two with 20 seconds left after a takedown on which he went for Gwiazdowski’s left ankle — “I knew the shot that I was looking for,” he said — then two on another takedown 25 seconds into overtime. He did so at 222 pounds against a man weighing 256. “I’m not used to pushing around guys that big — yet,” Snyder said.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sounds like a pretty awesome match.

KYSportsWriter likes this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I got to revisit wrestling with my oldest the prior 2 years; man I love the sport. (Vision Quest) Unfortunately, he decided to dedicate himself to running this year and passed on wrestling.

Its a beautiful, hard sport.

Smallpotatoes and franticscribe like this.
  5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes. Also a sport that anyone can participate in if they put in the work. I think it teaches you a lot about yourself and the lessons and confidence are with you for life.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

He's no Cael Sanderson yet. Everyone else is still playing for second.

I wrestled in high school and college, and I never would've realized the outer limits of what I was physically capable otherwise. As tough a sport as there is.

Smallpotatoes and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  7. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Did you know Westlemania is Live on the WWE Network Sunday, April 3 at 7 p.m. ET, 4 p.m. PT?

I do, thanks to the banner ad I get for clicking this thread.

P.S. - Watched some of it over the weekend. I covered wrestling for a season in my preps days, but never really got to the point of being able to identify scoring maneuvers. Thought the coverage was well done on ESPN from what I watched.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    Liut likes this.
  8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

This describes my time covering wrestling to a tee. Agree ESPN's coverage was good.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

In my small high school, basketball players and wrestlers had a big rivalry. We hated them, they hated us. (relatively speaking). A few years before it was actually truly heated, several fist fights between the two teams. Kids!

So as a basketball player I grew up disliking the sport. Their grueling practices (which we'd say weren't tougher than ours but...come on); the wrestlers running around the school doing steeples; wandering around in their sweatsuits cutting weight; their stupid T-shirts with inspirational slogans; their bloody noses. And on and on.

And even now, while I respect wrestlers a ton and will occasionally catch a Big Ten match or something on TV, it's still not exactly a favorite sport. But...the most exciting events I covered at my old newspaper were wrestling matches. The team contest was a mismatch. Each one ended like 60-6. But for two straight years, two absolute studs from the area met in those matches. The schools were in different classes so each kid won multiple state titles at their weight. 171 or something. The buildup to each match was awesome. We had previews just about their match, forget the team battle. And just the moments waiting for them to meet. Everyone sitting through the romp in the early classes and then everyone standing, the lights going off, the spotlight coming onto the mat, it was awesome. And both years, the match was decided in the final ten seconds. Same kid won each year, but that was the only loss of each year for the other guy. There was definitely something primal about it that added to the atmosphere. Just those two guys going at it.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I played baseball in high school and also looked down my nose at wrestlers (they have scrawny 103 poinders)!

But, I think the main advantage 99 percent of the players playing baseball vs. other sports is that you're going to be pretty good at rec league softball as an adult.

It's plain to see from my son's experience that he got little from 5 years of football (except a concussion and a dislike for some of his coaches and teammates) and that he learned a ton of things in 3 years of wrestling that are still serving him well.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The main rivalry we had was among the football players who thought they could just step on the mat and dominate, or were just wrestling to "stay in shape" for the fall.

Well, I also had a rivalry with reporters to tried to interview me after I lost. #rehashingoldSJarguments

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Wrestlers are the only athletes who can't play a lick of basketball.

Draft saved Draft deleted