1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Real time editor (with UNCW sports focus), Wilmington StarNews

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by alex.riley21, Mar 18, 2019.

1. alex.riley21

alex.riley21 Member

So, this is my old gig ... but it's not really "my old gig." Gatehouse is going through a lot of beat restructuring right now. The job was rewritten with me in mind just before I left, and now it's been rewritten again after I departed. It's a long story.

Short version - this job will cover UNCW athletics, in addition to a lot of other stuff. It's not a straight D1 beat, so if that's what you're looking for, this probably isn't for you. I'm happy to explain if you have questions, just shoot me a message.

GateHouse Media Real Time Editor Job in Wilmington, NC | Glassdoor

2. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

After reading that, I'm still not sure what the job is - just a bunch of cliche buzzwords. Also, what's with the weird, rogue t, i, w, e, and that "tec.un"?
    Typo-ridden posting?

3. alex.riley21

alex.riley21 Member

Blame the copy editors.

Scratch that, there are no copy editors left to blame.

RonClements likes this.
  4. alex.riley21

alex.riley21 Member

Just an FYI: The description has been edited and posted journalismjobs.com. Here's what they put.

The StarNews, a daily newspaper in Wilmington, N.C, is seeking a reporter to cover the University of North Carolina Wilmington, a Division I school, and local community colleges. This position includes coverage of sports as well as higher education issues affecting the Wilmington community. The ideal candidate will have experience covering sports as well as digital skills, including social media knowledge and video production capabilities. In addition to producing content for StarNewsOnline.com, this person serves as the team lead for a team that includes the high school sports reporter and a general assignment news reporter. As a team lead, this reporter is responsible for brainstorming digital ideas with other members of the team, helping the team achieve its digital goals and overseeing freelance reporters who also assist with sports coverage. Please send your resume and work samples to local editor Owen Hassell at Owen.Hassell@StarNewsOnline.com.

5. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

So in other words, in this job you have to cover BOTH the academic/business AND athletic side, right?

Why do I sense this is a disaster in the making?

HanSenSE and RonClements like this.
  6. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

The first paragraph of the job listing is a disaster:
    "To collaborate. distribute a nd execute the goals and i initiatives for the What T Care About t Now Team. Focus on the success of the team and each team member. Create an environment that prioritizes high-impact, high-interest. high-engagement journalism and excellence in digital journalism leading by exampl e."

I mean, did the person who wrote this even pass a high school freshman typing class?

Michael Prunka likes this.
  7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

See also: Company running StarNews into the ground. Not at all a surprise.

The buzzword-filled ad does the position zero favors.

RonClements likes this.
  8. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

This one has been filled

9. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

That it has.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Once upon a time, I'd have jumped at the opportunity to get rejected for this job.

Slacker likes this.
  11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I would have too - about 30 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted