1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Real Talk with Jason Whitlock

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know there is probably no writer on this board as polarizing as Whitlock.

I understand that as well as anyone. I've known Whitlock since I was in college and for years I would have told anyone willing to listen that he was one of my favorite columnists.

My opinion of him has wavered a bit in recent years, largely due to things he's done relating to this board. I still think he's a must-read.

His podcast (so far) is amazing. I know this has been mentioned in other threads but his first podcast was a two-parter with Jay Mariotti that is, if you've been in, or still are in this business, something you have to listen to.

Whether he can keep getting guests that interesting remains to be seen. I doubt I'd have much interest in him talking to athletes, but his interview with Mariotti is pretty interesting. Mariotti goes into pretty great detail on his arrest.

I know I'm two weeks late to the game on this one, and I know some of you have already heard it, but I was surprised we didn't have a thread on it already.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I listened to about five or six minutes of the first podcast with Mariotti and I couldn't take it anymore. It could not have been more boring.

3. Mizzougrad96

Wow, to each his own. I listened to both parts on my commute today and I thought it was incredibly interesting...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Mizzougrad96

Mariotti essentially said he took a plea deal because that's what AOL told him to do. He said they said, "Take the deal so you can come back to work." and then they let him go anyway.

I'm not saying I'm taking Mariotti at his word, but it wouldn't stun me if he was being truthful.

5. It wouldn't stun me if he was lying through his teeth.

When I see this thread all I can think about is Dave Chappelle's skit "When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong."

6. SheffieldAvenue

SheffieldAvenue New Member

When you plead guilty to something, the judge asks you in no uncertain terms if you understand what you are admitting to.

So either he lied to the judge or he's lying now.

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I thought it was great too. Whitlock is good at this type of thing. Mariotti is more than a little delusional. Whitlock's Bissinger interview is also good.

8. Mizzougrad96

I'm hoping he sticks to journalists.

9. bartlett4a

bartlett4a New Member

The one coming out in about 30 minutes is with Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com fame.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yay! Whitlock and Florio, which means 92182736 minutes of Pro Football Hall of Fame babble. Exciting!

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Do I have to watch all the seasons of the Wire to be able to keep up with Jason's podcasts?

'Cause to be honest, I've only seen like 1 1/2 episodes.

12. Does Florio count?

Draft saved Draft deleted