1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Real story behind the demise of the Las Vegas Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sjsilver, Jan 28, 2010.

1. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

great kicker at the end.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Is it beyond reason the LVRJ might have simply kicked their ass?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Pound-for-pound, the Sun was better. Was a unique package overall, I thought. LVRJ would have local copy but enough wire to satisfy (when I saw it, sports had plenty of space), then the 8-page or whatever Sun tucked inside would be all local with columnists, excellent features/enterprise and focused sports stuff such as Kantowski or Jeff Haney's always-outstanding gambling column. I'll miss reading it when I'm out there.

4. It's not surprising at all. When you're the boss, your ideas are never failures. It's the execution of your ideas by employees who won't buy in to your vision who are responsible.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Not hardly. That's about an $80 difference a night. Not even comparable. Sorry, couldn't let this BS slide.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Way to be there counteracting hot takes from 2010.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

You know what? There are limits. If your boss tells you you have to stay in a Super 8? Guess what? You quit. Sorry. Case closed. If not, you, my dear, have no self respect. No Super Eights. Do any of you actually stay in a Super Eight? I'm telling you ... no way. Now if you have a wife and 3 kids that need your paycheck and you can't quit over this, well, with all due respect you should have never started such a family being in journalism. Things like this are deal breakers. Stay in a Super Eight? My answer is no. That DOES NOT make me a bad employee, BTW.

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Not arguing any of this Fred. I would not stay in a Super 8 either. Typically, I stay in nice hotels but not high-end hotels like Hilton, Sheraton or Four Seasons. I stay in stuff like Fairfield Marriot, Holiday Inn Express, Hilton Garden Inn and Comfort Suites. I was merely pointing out that you exaggerated the price differences I've seen in these hotels. Super 8 usually runs $45 to $60 a night while Fairfield Marriot and Holiday Inn Express run about $109 to $129 a night. That's about $70-$80 difference, not $40 as you suggested.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Damn, you guys sure have refined sensibilities. I stay in Super 8 (and Rodeway Inn and Econolodge and ...) all the time.

11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Hampton Inn, FTW.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So the limit is being forced to stay in a Super 8, not being forced to work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week like your lot in life?

Draft saved Draft deleted