1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Real Sports story implicates Auburn, other schools

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Mar 30, 2011.

1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Even if the schools should be punished for breaking the rules, the media has no responsibility to help the NCAA enforce them. It could, like the USA Today article, question them.

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Insightful, Steak. Wasn't Ramsey the Jackson kid that transferred from private to public his senior year? One wonders what the lawyer lineup was in his suit.

Gray could've been a beast, maybe a Fairley. Transferred down to Delta State, but word was he started skipping class and got the boot.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes, Ramsey transferred from Jackson Academy to Madison Central (the largest school in the state) for his senior year. He also achieved some infamy his freshman year at Auburn (2007) for being the low man on the chop block against LSU's Glenn Dorsey.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

For college football and basketball, they certainly aren't getting their equitable share of the pie.

100 years from now, people will look back and find it hard to believe players didn't get paid.
    Almost like in baseball how we might view the reserve clause today.

And the Fiesta Bowl thing, this Real Sports story---these are all just more charms for Jan's bracelet that will eventually bring down this house of cards.

6. derwood

derwood Active Member

http://books.google.com/books?id=K2RT_O9cVL0C&printsec=frontcover&dq=andrew+zimbalist&hl=en&ei=ToGTTau7La-F0QGgyOTMBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

This book is a must read on he subject of NCAA economics.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Sweet stock art.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Hell if the Vols spent money on anyone other than Eric Berry over the past 5 years, we badly need a refund!

9. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

I believe the public looks at this the same way they look at political corruption: feigned shock and genuine entertainment when a scandal story is broken, even though we know it goes on everywhere. Once our attention runs out, we move on, keeping the blinders fully in place.

I really don't care if they pay players anymore. It means nothing to my day-to-day life anyway.

10. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Important as well. But everyone's saying the students are getting ripped off while coaches are cashing checks worth millions of dollars every year. I wish I had a free education. And because some players are on scholarship for five years, you could also get part of your graduate school education paid for. Not a bad deal.

11. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Why do you say it's "not a bad deal"? Sure, a free education is great--but maybe it's far below what they deserve. As I said earlier, it's just an arbitrary number--there's nothing to suggest it in anyway correlates with the services they're providing.

A company could pay you minimum wage for your work. That certainly is more than nothing. But you would obviously have the right to complain it's not fair compensation.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They have every right to complain . . . and to look for something else to do that will pay them what they believe is fair compensation.

No one is stopping them in that pursuit.

Draft saved Draft deleted