1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Real or Artificial

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Nov 21, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I really love live trees, but Stan can't climb fake ones (well, he learned how in January last year), so that's what we have.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

We will soon have four trees in my house, and all are fake.

They vary in size from the pre-lit monster to the three foot tree on the landing, but I agree with the fake sentiment that they are better overall.

No needles for Lil 93 to eat.

Plus, in the long run, they are a lot cheaper.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Where is that green plastic watering can?

Is it with with a broken man?
    A cracked polystyrene man?

4. JLaff

JLaff Guest

Real.

Aside from the convenience, I've never understood the appeal of fake trees.

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

For years I was a "real" tree person. Now, I'm a converted faker. Why you ask? Because I couldn't deal with the sense that it was a total waste. This tree was chopped up and killed for a few weeks out of the year. Plus it was a mess and a pain in the ass to buy, set up and dispose of.

(And, yes, I know we're not really saving any trees.)

Now, my little fake tree takes us 20 minutes to set up. No waste. No problem.

Before I catch any flak, let me say this: Yes my tree is fake. So is 99 percent of everything else associated with Christmas. Jesus was born. That's the significance. Not Santa Fatass Claus, reindeers and all that other made up, commercial bullshit.

So, my tree is fake. So is Christmas. Suck it.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

7. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

It's not Christmas for me unless we hit our favorite local tree farm, hike around in the cold for a minimum of 30 minutes looking for the perfect tree, then sawing it down. I've done it since I was at least 10 years old and hopefully I'll do it for many more years.

I can't envision a scenario in which I would have a fake tree in my home.

8. da el g

da el g Member

always a real tree, 15-20 feet tall

as for the mess you run the vacuum for 5 minutes every other day, no big deal

plus it helps support farmers

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I prefer real, but the family goes for fake. I've had real at my place... though since I usually work on Christmas, the last time I even had a tree was about five years ago. Recently moved the furniture around for the first time in years, and yep -- got stuck in the foot with a pine needle. Says alot about my housekeeping, I guess.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Understood. And anyone who pushes something on you deserves the eggnog-laced thumping.

But some advantages to artificial trees:
    1) More cost-efficient
    2) Less of a fire hazard
    3) The ones that have lights on them have much taken care of for you. Don't use tinsel, though ... messy!
    4) Less trash

I understand enjoying the traditions, real smell and where Double Down is coming from. But we've never done anything other than the artificial tree. I've had family members do nothing but real trees. The artificial tree stays here.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

treenis envy

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agreed. I'm the last person anyone would consider a tree-hugger, but killing a tree to put up in my living room for a month just doesn't seem right.

Also, given the cost of real trees, buying a fake one you can use for 10 years just makes more sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted