1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Real nice, Deadspin.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MertWindu, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Great comedy is built on making light of various serious plights and maladies.

I think you guys are too close to it, so I perfectly understand your particular sensitivity. I don't see anything out-of-bounds about it, though.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I thought some of them were funny.
    Stuart Scott - iPhone, well that made me laugh

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Joe Theisman - Rice Krispies (snap, crackle, and pop)
    John Kruk: Happy Action Fun Ball

Stay classy, Deadspinners.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I'm a Cardinals fan, and I'm quite positive that karma is fucking with the team for putting a Hancock patch on the sleeve this season.

The patch shouldn't be there, and I've said that from the beginning -- before Hancock's family went lawsuit crazy.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

If only I had gotten the patents on the Natalie Wood Life Preserver and the William Holden Drinking Helmet...

6. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

This is a classic case of two different breeds of individuals sharing an interest in something. Think of the '60s drug culture and the clear delineation between the Hell's Angels and the hippie movement.

In this case, we're talking about a Web site that is part sports journalism and part entertainment. Entertainment value is shown to be more valuable to Leitch than integrity as a sports journalist. Of course, that might be a small price to pay for drawing readers from both segments.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

And some point, people need to realize that deadspin has as much to do with sports journalism as TMZ and Perez Hilton do with entertainment journalism. Will carved out a great niche for himself, and a lot of people love it. But it's not journalism. So to hold them to the same standards of taste and ethics that we hold newspapers, magazines and legitimate web journalists is silly. It's a humor site. And while the Gammons thing, which Leitch wrote, is in extremely bad taste, I don't think you can pin the "Tom Mees water wings stuff" on Deadspin and Gawker media any more than you can pin some of Yawn's and zagoshe's ramblings on Webby.

I read Deadspin and KSK because they make me laugh. At no point do I take them seriously to get angry. It's not journalism, which is why the debates about Leitch's "success in sports journalism without access" are stupid.

Would I feel differently if Peter Gammons was my dad? Probably. But he's certainly a publich figure.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Since Gammons lived, it's borderline... If he had died, it would be too much...

A buddy told me about the Marquise Hill headline in the Onion and I laughed even though I know I should not have...

9. joe

joe Active Member

"Haaaaa ha ha ha. It's funny because I don't know them." -- Homer

Draft saved Draft deleted