1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reagan's speech on the 40th anniversary of Normandy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Speaking at the beachhead where the Allieds stormed the beach. Ran across it and wanted to share.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Would that either party would come up with someone with half the communication skills of Ronnie or Clinton.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Carlton/Hondo, have either of you a link to one of Reagan's speeches where he shuts down the psychiatric hospitals, or where he massively cuts funding to our Veterans' agencies and support groups?

Those are two items from his legacy that, sadly, often get overlooked.

4. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

No, I don't think the Reagan Presidential Library has those speeches ready for the public's consumption.

What I want to know is why, on a thread about a very incredible and patriotic speech that highlighted the incredible bravery of those that stormed the beaches at Normandy (not just the American soldiers, but the different Allied troops and divsions which he honored by name), you wanted to step in and post unrelated crap about the politician giving the speech. And completely disgarded the speech in question.

But why don't you call the Reagan Presidential Library (800-410-8354 or 805-577-4000) and ask them your question. I am sure they would be glad to help you.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Putting vets' benefits to death by a thousand cuts has long been a popular play form that side.

Hey, they won't be around that much longer, anyway . . . and, hey, most of them volunteered.

(reaching for airline sickness bag)

All of FDR's sons served.

Try to find a comparable record built up by a modern career pol, now.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Holding the rest of my fire, for now. Will check back later this evening and see how things have developed, in this corner.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Clinton also had a stirring visit to Normandy.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What I want to know is why you post a political thread on a board with a no politics policy and then whine when it gets political.

9. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

A speech about the invasion of Normandy is political, huh? I thought it was historical, but thanks for straightening me out.

10. TheSportsPredictor

yw

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

War is politics and politics is war.

12. TheSportsPredictor

Reagan is so wonderful that he deserves his own thread about him talking about D-Day rather than being included on a thread about, you know, the actual day: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/84207/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.