1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reaganomics, for real

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spup1122, Mar 3, 2010.

1. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

GOP Congressman and possible birther wants Reagan on the $50 bill.

http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/03/reaganomics-gop-rep-wants-to-put-reagan-on-50-bill.php?ref=fpblg

2. That "War Between The States" hero U.S. Grant would come off the bill would just be a sheer coincidence.....

3. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

Do you mean the "War of Northern Aggression?" [/SouthernFriedRube]

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I always thought that Jackie Coogan would look great on the Fifty .

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Aren't there some arcane laws/rules/whatever about someone on money and changing that someone, etc.?

When I was a kid, my dad came home with a fifty. Said he'd give it to the first of the six of us who could tell him who was on the bill. Yours truly, by the far youngest of the six, piped in with Grant right away.
    We'd gone over money in school that day, a fact I think dear old dad knew.

Hard to believe my dad's been dead almost as long as he was alive. Still miss him every day. But I digress. Back to the discussion.

6. Boom_70

Moddy that is a nice story. Sounds like your dad was a great man that died too young. You seem like a very devoted father. Do you think you father's early passing has had impact on how you parent?

7. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

How old were you and what did you do with the $50?

8. Moderator1

Six or seven, couldn't have been older than seven because the oldest moved out for college after that and I can't recall a time beyond that when all six of us would have been home during the school year. Can't recall what I spent it on eventually but I'm sure it wasn't something essential. Not drugs, though (that would have come in high school! just kidding).

boom, that's a good question. I'm now older than he ever was and have seen my kids grow up. He had a college grad, two in college, two teen-agers and me (10 years old) when he died. He was busy with a budding medical practice and a lot of weekend work but he made sure to spend as much time with us as he could. I did the same, taking lunch to school midweek, taking early flights home on Sundays to catch one session of a weekend swim meet, that kind of thing. That time is valuable and you never know when it will end. Hell, I continue with that. My son and I are going out tonight to watch a game on TV and I'm excited about that. Though if VT loses to N.C. State tonight, I may just leave him in the bar.

My dad did try to sneak in a round of golf once a week, usually on Wednesday afternoons. He was a shitty golfer and we gave up asking him what he shot because it would put him in a crap mood. So one week he shoots an 83 and no one asked him. Finally, before he goes off to bed, he announces: "An eighty-god-damn-three, thanks for asking."

Loved his family, loved his dogs (we used to show bulldogs), loved his cool Hi-Fi (I have all his show-tune recordings and my wife got me an actual record player last year). Loved to try to teach his parrot to cuss (unsuccessfully).

Wow, did we get off track here.

9. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Moddy,

Those are memories that will last a lifetime. Thanks for sharing with us. It's always nice to hear stories like this even if it isn't your own. It warms the heart.

10. Moderator1

It is a bit on topic, as it explains why I'm partial to Grant and 50s. Find another bill for RONNIE!

11. Boom_70

Great stuff Moddy. Sounds like your dad was a great man that you learned a lot from.

Hell-- you have even applied some of his principles here taking care of all us SJ kids.

12. Boom_70

"Movin on up"

Draft saved Draft deleted