1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ready for AP satellite shut down?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Sep 26, 2010.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

We've converted. And it sucks. Some of the folders don't even have anything in them. They don't purge, so we have to remember to clear them out manually or else the old, old, old computer the files are stored on bogs down, which bogs down all our computers. And we don't get things on a consistent basis. Some days, we'll get all sorts of agate and graphics. Then the next day, we get nothing.

We've been using AP Exchange much, much more than the web feed.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

No. You get everything that is on Exchange, but the content feeds right into an existing editorial system.

3. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

We converted over the summer. And we too get a lot more stuff (the expanded and wide boxes, prep scores and stories from other states). and a few things (like AP Top 25 poll) end up in a different folder than the rest of the agate.

Our tech guys haven't got the coding down yet on football boxes, so we have to adjust the score by quarters, team stats and paragraph the individual stats. They were working on it over the weekend, so hopefully that's fixed.

The one advantage the new system gives us is that when it goes down, it automatically goes back to move all the missed wired copy. Whereas if the satellite went down, we had to call AP for resends on stories (Always a pain if you aren't completely sure what had and hadn't moved).

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

AP has the worst customer service support this side of the DMV.

5. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Yes, unless absolutely necessary

6. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

So, how is sports doing without AP for game reports, notes, agate?

Are they just rewriting the stuff and not identifying it?

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

We're in the process of switching over. No problems so far,

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Thanks. I checked with my ME to make sure sure we were switched over. We had been for a week. But then I looked at our feeds on Exchange vs. the text side, and we were already getting full sports wire on the web, but not on text. I let the techie know.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We switched to webfeed and all of a sudden started getting South Dakota volleyball scores. It's like taking a sip from a fire hose. I had to change every one of my searches.

Not only that, but it made our servers go goofy and seize up at least once a day, sometimes twice and once right before deadline.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

When our webfeed first got going, we were getting high school football scores from Michigan and volleyball polls from North Dakota. I'm in Kansas and there hasn't been any high school stuff from my state on it yet.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Since a couple of our locals haven't been calling in road games, been tempted to run those Minnesota volleyball scores ...

Draft saved Draft deleted