1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reading Eagle

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lantaur, Apr 30, 2009.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Didn't see this posted anywhere, but just found out someone I went to school with once upon a time got laid off from the Reading Eagle (in sports). Not sure of the total number gone.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm working on finding out.

3. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Per Facebook, an SJ brother was one of them.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Who owns this paper?

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That would be correct.

Three layoffs from the sports department. No severance pay.

6. Chris_Korman

Chris_Korman Member

Sad day for a superb section put out by great people.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

No severance? Wow, that is fucking horseshit.

8. dinosaur

dinosaur New Member

I can shed some light on the situation.

Three FTs and two PTs in sports were let go. Correct, no severance package whatsoever. The newspaper is privately owned. They just bought a new press and erected a building to house it, and that huge expenditure is eating them alive. A total of 18 in editorial were fired, 50-something company-wide. It seems the sports section was hit the hardest, with all three FTers having high school beats.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Let me add a candle on it. The Eagle does a good job but like the Intelligencer Journal and the few more hinterland publications, what they do isn't seen by the masses. While it is disappointing, I am not surprised there is no severance package.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't quite know what to make of that. The Eagle is the newspaper for Berks County, just as the Intel is the newspaper for Lancaster County. They are seen by the "masses" as much as any other daily short of a major metro.

11. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

So will they re-assign "pro" reporters to high school sports? You can't give up the high school sports market....

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

They won't, Pendleton. They'll move around. One thing about the Eagle staff, even if they've moved on to pro or college beats, they know Berks County sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted