1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reader sues Raleigh N&O for cutting staff, paper size

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Jul 10, 2008.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

<a href="http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1137259.html">The guy filing the suit is a former reporter with the Fayetteville Observer.</a>

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Interesting.

Are there any other precedents?

Revisit the business model, eh?
    Who says anyone has the business model that is best going to figure out the future of newspapers?
    I say the ones who have some of those answers (if they're out there) are not the ones in position to influence that model.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

John Drescher, executive editor of The News & Observer, said he's glad that Hempstead is a loyal reader and that the N&O has meant so much to him.

"We've had some really good papers recently, and they're worth more than the 36 cents a day that Mr. Hempstead is paying us," Drescher said.

"In fact, he owes me money," Drescher continued. "So when he gets a lawyer, he can work with my lawyer and figure out how much he's going to pay me for the excellent coverage he's been getting recently."

I respect the EE's spunk, but I'm guessing this lawyer/reader has a hundred examples of how the paper he's reading today pales in comparison to last year's or a few years ago. And that's gonna be hard to argue against.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That is one smug EE.

5. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Drescher's a good guy. I'm sure he's saying that tongue-in-cheek.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's all funny til he loses...

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Well, he comes off sounding like a cock, there.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I interpreted his statements to be a joke.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The jury won't.

10. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

No kidding, especially when you consider he'd have to say the same thing about all the other subscribers that "owe him money."

And from the times that I've met him, I like John Drescher.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Absurdity breeds absurdity. The response was perfect considering the suit.

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

Still needs to rise above the fray. Again, that higher-level pursuit is one of the major distinctions the traditional media bring in a flattened landscape.

Draft saved Draft deleted