1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reader responses

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tom Petty, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Reader responses posted at the bottom of stories on the Internet ... your thoughts?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

they're never positive, but whatever. They like to be heard.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

In the last few days, I've found it to be quite annoying. :-\

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The same rules should apply to this as to the letters we run in the paper. Sign your name, no libel, we should remove anything we know to be factually incorrect.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

I agree 100 percent. I like the idea of the quick response -- people are too lazy to register -- but there needs to be some accountability w/ these things. At the very least a valid email address.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Maybe they could use anonymous screen names.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i guess writers could as well.

when you read my next column in the drippydick press, please don't come back here and tell everyone where tom petty works.

8. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Everybody is an expert and could do our jobs better.

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

I check those things on my paper's site and you can track them down by their IP address.
    We don't put anything on that is libelous or a cheap shot.
    Other than that, almost anything goes.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

Shit, if we got rid of the cheap shots, we'd have nothing at all.
    The QB of the team I cover took it up the poopshoot for damn near three weeks because fans were pissed about a season-opening loss.

11. ogre

ogre Member

IMO, this is one of the smartest uses of the internet newspapers have come up with. I would much rather someone harp on an article online than make that phone call. Plus, it is fun to see people argue with each other, almost forget about the article itself.
    Anything that makes readers think we care about their opinion, value their point of view, accept their input or give them a voice, keeps them coming back.

Although, this could also push people to never pick up the print edition...

Draft saved Draft deleted