1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reader comments, part infinity

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WolvEagle, Dec 25, 2009.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It really isn't, though.
    Any current authentication process can be faked and/or skirted.

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Well, it's better than doing *nothing*. It has lessened our idiots, that's for sure. Far from perfect, of course.

Also, this is hardly all about ad impressions. It is also about keeping people on your site - or making your site the No. 1 place to go - and not going somewhere else. (Among other things)

3. fishwrapper

It's a bit of both. Comments keep people on the site and leave "key impressions" for advertising focus.
    That's why they aren't going anywhere.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Advertisers are morons for wanting to be associated with such trash and drivel.
    Don't be so sure they aren't going anywhere. The first successful lawsuit and bye bye anonymous reader comments.

5. fishwrapper

...holding breath, now...

6. Fredrick

I take it you are in favor of reader comments that are anonymous?
    You don't think it makes you part of a sleazy money grubbing profession?

7. fishwrapper

I'll tell you what I'm in favor of...
    I'm in favor of reader comments or anything else that will keep the lights on until this industry can figure out its heading. And, not just for my job. I can find something else to do.
    The survival of the reported word is essential to a society that considers itself free. That reported word comes from professionals, not green kids rewriting spoon-fed releases or bloggers opining on those releases.
    You consider it sleazy, for now I consider it a means.

8. Fredrick

The problem, fishwrapper, is it makes legitimate newspapers look like the scummiest organizations on the planet. We act all high and mighty and force people to sign their names in the beloved print product letters to the editor and let them put their stagenames on disgusting reader comments on the internet product.
    I wish advertisers knew what they were advertising. It makes us look desperate and it actually is not good for America. This anonymous crap is really helping ruin our country. It lets these demented people have their say, calling cops pedophiles. My god. Nothing is sacred anymore.

As far as keeping us afloat, how about what should have been done years ago? Have the fucking ad people point out how the print product still works to get their word out with ads. There has been NO innovation in ads. It's all on the fucking newsroom to save the business via the internet.
    Bullshit. The only business model that works is the print product.
    Sell it. Beef up ad departments. Oh wait ... that's passe now. The internet is the future you know.
    You along with all publishers have been sold a bill of good apparently by these think tankers who have yet to make a dollar for their companies.

You will see. The anonymous comments will disappear soon enough, once the word of lawsuits finally trickles down to the fifth-grade education publishers and managing editors who run newspapers. The lawsuits will scare them. Allegedly they don't have the money for long legal battles. Allegedly.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

As usual, you don't know what you're talking about.

http://valley.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/online_comments_trigger_derby_lawsuit/

And the lawsuits have been trickling down for years:

Pennsylvania Ruling Protects Anonymous Online Comments (November 2000)
    Ill. judge dismisses comments lawsuit (October 2008)
    Anonymous Online Comments Protected Under Maryland Internet Ruling (March 2009)

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What I'm waiting for is a newspaper employee, like a reporter, to file a lawsuit against their own paper when that paper allows defamatory comments about the employee without taking them down.

The worker could claim that the paper was allowing harassment or for having a hostile work environment.

11. fishwrapper

The solution is to sell a newspaper... the printed product. BRILLIANT!!!
    Why hasn't anyone thought of that?

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Too hard. Takes vision and stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted