1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reader comments on the website

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WScribblySh, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Ain't it great? :D

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

SF Express I said long ago the battle is lost. I realize the Internet isn't going away. That doesn't mean newspapers have to cheapen themselves by allowing racist/sexist/mean/nasty reader comments that are anonymous. It truly makes newspaper employees seem the dredge of society IMO. Do you agree or disagree?

As far as me being an anonymous poster. If I had to sign up here and post under my last name to go with my first name I probably wouldn't sign up. So what the board would do just fine, most would say, better without Fredrick.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I almost peed my pants a little.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

You should blog about that.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Consider it done.

6. You spell it out in the privacy policy, you're covered. Caveat emptor

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'd wager a lot of people would provide throwaway addresses, then, or addresses they'll never check again after their registration is approved.

8. You're right, but think about this shotgun style of marketing and selling. Why is spam so successful? The model is cheap; send out a million emails, if you get a 1% or 2% return that is converted into a sale, that's really not that bad considering the initial investment. Now granted, many spammers are hijacking computers to send spam, and there's no cost-per-email that a legit business would have to incur, but it does work.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

http://tinyurl.com/85wec9

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Fredrick won't like it -- heck, maybe I don't like it, I just hope I'm a realist -- but that's the way it is and will continue to be, more and more.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

There is a huge gap between responsibly allowing reader comments and letting anonymous people have their say. Both ends of the spectrum involve diligence on the part of the paper/media outlet, and both come with their own headaches. If you're fine having your reputation go down the tubes, thus further losing the foothold you've spent decades and decades gaining with readers, be lax and lazy about it and call it a "dialog" because someone else says that's what it is.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Point is, Johnny, you're not just telling the readers the news anymore. The popularity of reader comments signals that they want to interact and they want to be heard.

How are you going to interact with them? Or will you just ignore them and drive them away?

Draft saved Draft deleted