1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Read my lips --Zidane alert

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WHA73, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

MM - Idiot. He probably said some nasty shit to ZZ.

BUT, you're fucking joking if you think whatever he said warranted a HEADBUTT in the middle of overtime OF THE WORLD CUP FINALS.

Most of us have played sports in some fashion. There has been trash talking. Maybe cheap shots. BUT you cannot lose your cool and flip out like ZZ did. Disgusing a trip? Go for it. Maybe in the penatly area, while jockeying for position on a penalty kick, you throw an elbow.

But you cannot lose your cool.

ZZ is at fault here, no if, ands, or buts.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

And it happened in the same event where the pre-competition hype was about quelling racist displays. Nice.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter what Materazzi said.

You LET IT GO, win the game, then clobber the motherfucker around the head and neck with a nice shiny blunt instrument, such as the World Cup, and set off the Great-Grandmother of all postgame riots. You do whatever you want when the game is done, but you do not get yourself thrown out of a world championship game in overtime. One of the most idiotic moves in the history of sports.

4. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

And if anyone thinks this was a dive by Materazzi, that's laughable.

This was an unprovoked attack, he had no clue it was coming, and he was DECLEATED by a headbutt.

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Yes, but you have to understand that he was just in the moment. I don't know if anyone realized this, but Italy played very dirty the whole match(My opinion). And I would bet that they were saying the things to Zidane the whole match too. This all goes back to the "racism in soccer" thing. I remember I saw something on OTL about how Spain's coach saying racist things about Theirry Henry. He said things like "Get that black etc." and other things of that nature. There also other times were German fans held the Nazi flag during games. Going back to Zidane's situation, was it right for him to headbutt him like that? No, but you have to understand why he did it.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

What I understand is that Zidane, in the single biggest match many of his teammates will ever play in their lives, took a cheapshot at a guy and got caught. And it's not out of the realm of possibility that his foul cost his team the World Cup.

Hard to come up with anything more selfish than that. You want a piece of the guy? Bust his ass after the game is over.

7. Italians taking a dive?

Draft saved Draft deleted