1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Read my lips --Zidane alert

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WHA73, Jul 11, 2006.

1. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,28783-2263995,00.html

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I don't care if the guy said his mother deep-throated bin Laden, he was a Zidane Fool to retaliate at that point.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

A friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend who knows a guy says...

That's all that story was. Pure speculation.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Still, this is the most in-depth and thought-provoking analysis of the event that we've seen.
    Good reporting, using what little current info can be mustered.
    A good read.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

“If it were true, it would be a reprehensible act, which would not reflect the fair play that Italy and Materazzi himself showed during the tournament,” Riccardo Villari, a centre-left MP, said. “It would risk uselessly inflaming passions and creating tensions.”

Fair play?
    I guess he missed that little U.S.-Italy match, huh?

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Quote of the day:

“It is absolutely not true,” Materazzi said. “I did not call him a terrorist. I’m ignorant. I don’t even know what the word means. The whole world saw what happened on live TV.”

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

said THROUGH AN INTERPRETER

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I realize that. That's what I thought made that funny. But still, "I don't know what that word means" ... come on.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Technically, I suppose, Materazzi did NOT call ZZ a terrorist.

He called his mother one.

A big difference. ::)

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

You know, there are a lot of folks here who think no matter what was said to Zidane, he didn't have to headbutt Materazzi said. I agree Zidane shouldn't have done what he did, but if it was a racist remark, there's no room for that shit. Little sets most people off like racist remarks, and I'm sure Zidane is no different.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

There is no room for that.
    So what do you do? You play out the rest of the game, then inform FIFA what Matarazzi said, and then he gets suspended.
    No defense for what Zizou did. None. Otherwise, crappy players on every team in every sport would be sent out to say vile things to star players and receive the reaction that you claim is natural.

12. Not sure if this has been posted, but Materazzi speaks
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=373706&cc=5901

Draft saved Draft deleted