1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Read it and weep

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not trying to sound too flip with the thread title.
    Excellent story/column by Mike Wise. Made for a tearful start to my day.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/25/AR2007122501222.html

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

Thanks, Moddy.... kinda dusty in here.

Great read.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A tremendous story. I have children of my own and I can't imagine what Gibbs' family is going through. You frequently see celebrities and think how perfect their lives are. This column showed that many of them are just like us.

I'm a fan of one of the Redskins' rivals, but I think I'll be becoming a Redskins fan for a while.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I covered J.D. Gibbs as a collegiate player at William and Mary - pretty damn good defensive back. He was a terrific kid to deal with then. Sent a message to him not long ago about something with Gibbs Racing and got a quick, positive reply. In short, he's always been one of the good guys.

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Great job of reporting/writing. Wise let the people involved tell the story, didn't get in the way. Other columnists I can think of (who will not be named because it's the day after Christmas) would have made it all about "them."

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Whew.
    Many, many, many prayers out to that family.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Taylor's mom, particularly, seems to be a pillar of strength and perspective. Rooting hard for this kid and his family.

Draft saved Draft deleted