1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Read aloud day at an elementary school

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 16, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I first read Stephen King's "IT" that year. Along with a shitload of baseball books. And a bunch of Hardy Boys books. And "Bridge to Terabithia." And "Where The Wild Things Are."

2. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

What about Maniac Magee? That has some passages that would be entertaining to me even today.

3. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Roy MacGregor has "The Screech Owl" series -- any one of those would be good for fourth grade boys at any rate. Might bore the girls. It's about a peewee hockey team's adventures. Very easy to read and I believe 10-13 or so is the target audience

4. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Read them a couple pages of Amaechi's book. That'll wake 'em up fast.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Anyone else remember Harriet The Spy? I read that around that age.

Encyclopedia Brown was the man.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Charlotte's Web. Great book for that age group.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Don't you need a shorter book? How much time will you have?

I'd go with something funny--kids that age already start thinking books are boring and hard. Probably can't get away with Captain Underpants, but check out the Maximum Boy series by Dan Greenburg...short, funny, clever. I buy those for my nephew, who hates to read but loves those books.

Or maybe a classic short story...something by Roald Dahl, they'll all know Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, some of the short stories are just as great.

If all else fails, go with something involving gas or boogers. Fourth graders cannot resist gas or boogers.

8. part-timer

part-timer Member

Read them "Green Eggs and Ham" and challenge them to guess the 50 words Seuss used in the book. No one ever gets Sam-I-Am.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Both my fourth-grade son and my second-grade daughter are devouring books from two series: Bailey School Kids and Magic Tree House. You probably couldn't read a single one of those books in one sitting, but you could get through a few chapters. The advantage of Bailey School Kids is that those books are funnier.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What about Boxcar Children? I was reading those books around fourth grade...

[​IMG]

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Holy shit. I haven't thought about those in years!

Good one, KY.

Draft saved Draft deleted