1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RE: ZIMMERMAN -- Let The Boycotting Begin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I kinda figured that was the reason. It's the only one that made sense.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Jesse and Al can't make a buck off of logic like that.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The question is how did they end up locked in battle. And that's the question that was never answered because of SYG. Did you notice how nobody during the trial connected the dots to who was standing where, who moved where at what point, etc? No specific timeline. I know that sounds like some CSI stuff, but that's pretty typical procedure in a normal case. However, police didn't act to do that in this case. I don't believe police secured the crime scene. They didn't bag Martin's hands (there was that whole curiosity about him having no DNA), there were reports as the news broke that witnesses were calling and begging to tell police what they saw and the police were brushing them off.

It wasn't just the smoking gun that was missing. It was the entire physical/scientific backbone of the case. And that is directly attributable to Stand Your Ground.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Hasn't he said that he thought Martin was reaching for his gun?

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That's right, I think I read that somewhere ... so, scratch that part.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Whatever Stevie has to do to get along with his conscience. I'd guess it has zero effect. Now if the NCAA wanted to boycott Florida and tell the state it can no longer host bowl games, they'd call a special session of their state legislature to overturn the law.

7. doctorquant

As I said before, I am skeptical that SYG played that big a role in the investigation.

8. doctorquant

LOL ... Yeah, that'd probably do the trick.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Still do not understand why this case has gotten so much notoriety and yet dozens of young black males are killed monthly and there is little about them.

As example the Danroy Henry case in which Federal Trial is going on now. Henry was a 20 year old Pace College Football player who as shot as a result of not understanding a cop's orders. He was left unattended and left to die on street with a trauma center 3 minutes away.

The cop subsequently received Cop of Year award from his local PBA. The Justice Dept was suppose to review case back in 2012 but little has been said since.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I was boycotting Florida well before I knew who Trevon Martin and George Zimmerman were. Therefore, I was boycotting Florida before boycotting Florida was cool.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Radio personality Tom Joyner offers Jeantel full college scholarship, if she choose to accept it.

http://www.blackyouthproject.com/2013/07/tom-joyner-offers-rachel-jeantel-full-college-scholarship/

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

She better learn how to read script first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.