1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Re: Well, this was not a good night (update)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, May 23, 2009.

1. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Re: Well, this was not a good night

Wenders and MacDaddy are right. I destroyed a laptop's physical case. I found the same model laptop on ebay for about $200, dropped in the hard drive and voila!

I know you need the information quickly, but I wanted to assure you that all is not lost.

2. lono

lono Active Member

Johnny:

I'm sorry to hear about that. Good luck and let's hope your hard drive is salvageable.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Were the people responsible at least apologetic?

Jump drive on the key chain or in the pocket, at all times. I have so many of the things I've lost count. Save and backup instantly.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

A guy who witnessed it said the worker put it back on the counter and said it'll be Ok. Didn't sound too concerned, and they were gone by the time I got the news.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

JD, they are right. Your drive is probably OK -- assuming that isn't what is keeping the computer from booting. If you have a borrowed laptop, you can buy an external drive case with a USB connection, lift the drive from your laptop, put it in the case and get access to it as an external drive on the borrowed laptop.

It sounds scary, but it's not that difficult. You just have to figure out how to get your drive out of the laptop. It is different on different machines, and some machines have the drive sit inside a caddy that slides out once you unscrew. But you can get an external drive enclosure for less than $10 to $20 online, so maybe if you find a computer retailer nearby they will have them for close to that. It's worth trying.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

JD - sorry to hear about this, hopefully you can get the files you need off the laptop.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Thanks for the advice on the data retrieval. If it requires me to be able to pay for it (even to be reimbursed later), then I'm screwed. I'm sure they won't do it out of the kindness of their hearts.

Oh, and the rest of the story. The loaner laptop the nice SEC person lent me was password protected, so I couldn't use it. I used PC in hotel lobby. Any cut and paste was an irrevocable cut ... the paste was always the same info (not mine) and my info was lost. So I wrote the story in the order in which transcribed quotes appeared onscreen (after re-transcribing what I lost from the first section of cutting and pasting).

I have a headache.

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

That SUCKS.

I echo the jump-drive philosophy. They make 8 and even 16-gig ones now to hold a ton of stuff. Good luck getting the stuff back.

RB

9. Johnny Dangerously

I'm going to call Dell. I have immediate computer needs, next-few-days computer needs and longterm computer needs. Maybe they have some answers too.

I printed out all of my receipts (purchase of computer, chill mat and all upgrades) and am bringing them to the ballpark today.

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Good luck. You're due.

11. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I promise not to bitch about my days for an entire month. That sucks, Johnny.

12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

You are much too humble. It is major, and I'm glad we're here for you to vent and offer advice. Good luck, brother.

Draft saved Draft deleted