1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Re: Sports Publishing LLC thread closed

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by oscaroscaroscar, Oct 14, 2008.

1. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I share a room with a first-time author who got six figures for a first book. Our agent has a couple of them.

YD&OHS, etc

2. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

agents are parasites.

they may make you money, but you'll want to shower.

3. First-time author here. Nice-sized five-figure advance. Actually, I did a book for McFarland earlier, but that doesn't really count.

My proposal would have been laughed out of the room without my agent pulling the strings. He didn't just shop it around. He helped shape the proposal, went back and forth with me again and again and again to get it dead-solid perfect. He helped the process along from the original list of ideas I had until the day the offer finally came in.

The proposal itself was about 20,000 words.

It's a long, tiring process with no guarantee of a reward in the end.

And I couldn't have done it without an agent.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thanks for contributing to the discussion.

Funny, most of the authors or publishers I know have nothing but good relations with literary agents.

Maybe it's you.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

No kidding - my agent is awesome!! :) :) :)

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Stop sucking up. :)

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Jealousy will get you nowhere! ;)

That said, how'd you like to be my publicist, or at least help out with some of the publicity/marketing ideas? We can talk about it at SB next Saturday if you're interested.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'd be more than happy to brainstorm. Let's talk about it next Saturday

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Some added information:

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2008/11/04/sports_publishing_llc_releases_details_about_bankruptcy

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Have you ever been paid for anything you've written? Seriously.

11. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

So Bannon owns the building he leases to Sports Publishing, which he runs. How cozy. While writers and investors don't get paid, he gets paid as CEO and pays himself rent as landlord.

And HenryHenry, agents are great. As I've said, I don't see a need for them in every situation, but in many, they are vital to making sure the author or artist is fairly compensated.

12. Jones

Jones Active Member

henryhenry is the same schlub who defends plagiarists to the dickhilt and then calls agents parasites.

Hmmm... Five bucks says he's been pinched for word robbery and still couldn't come up with anything good enough to attract representation.

In other words, he's not worth anybody's time.

Draft saved Draft deleted