1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Re-reading "Shoeless Joe" nearly 30 years later

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Jun 20, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Got my copy the other day. Started reading it this morning.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

JD, here's a link to that Kinsella story ... which is hilarious, by the way:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hniotyk62dez192/Kinsella_WP-How_I_Got_My_Nickname-fullstory.pdf

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for doing that. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was fun to read it again and remember how much I laughed the first time.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I realized that the producers/writers of Field of Dreams could have used the first 20 pages of the book to form about 85% of the movie.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

WP Kinsella was primarily a short story writer in the 70's and Oberon Press, a small Canadian literary outfit, published all his early work

Stories in his first collections were about the indigenous people of Alberta and one short story "Dance Me Outside" may have been his greatest.

In a later collection, he wrote a short story "Shoeless Joe Jackson Comes to Iowa"

A now unknown editor at Houghton Mifflin read the story and persuaded Kinsella to stretch it out to a novel. That was a mistake

Kinsella takes the essential plot in the story and turns it into a bloated mess

Sorry, not a fan of "Shoeless Joe" because the short story is almost perfect and the novel is a literary version of lipstick on a pig.

And the movie"Field of Dreams" is embarrassingly bad from almost any angle you can think of.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Well we'll disagree on that, but my child's hitting hot streak has continued and he even pitched a complete-game win in his first start of the season. There's magic in that book. Magic.

Draft saved Draft deleted