1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Re-discovering your old music

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, May 27, 2014.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

"You Get What You Play For" is a fine collection of music: 'Keep Pushin', 'Son of a Poor Man', '157 Riverside Avenue' and 'Music Man' stand out for me.

I've written this here previously, but 'Time For Me to Fly' was the turning point for REO. Fantastic tune, but it seems to me that Cronin heard the cash register open with that song, and then saw how easy it was to repeat the same formula with slight variations, which begat 'Take it on the Run' (albeit a Richrath song), 'Keep on Lovin You', 'Keep the Fire Burnin', 'Can't Fight this Feeling' et al.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's a great album.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It aged extremely well. It was actually thought of as a commercial flop because it didn't match the sales of Licensed to Ill, but it was a groundbreaking record through the use of sampling. Tracks like "Egg Man," "Shadrach," and parts of "B-Boy Bouillabaise" are fucking amazing still today.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Speaking of The Beastie Boys, "Ill Communication" is now 20 years old, and Grantland did a long piece on it: http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/ill-communication-at-20-an-everything-guide-to-the-beastie-boys-masterpiece/

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I strongly recommend getting a monthly service like Spotify if you are really into music. I listened to Paradise Theater by Styx on the way into work this morning, and, whoa...

Just type it in and you have the full album at your fingertips.

6. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

When I'm in a Janis Joplin mood I listen to Cheap Thrills - Janis with Big Brother and the Holding Company.

I recently decided to go with Pearl. I had forgotten all the great songs on that album.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Came out right before I started my fourth year in college. I thought it was great, and so did I handful of people I knew. Mostly the other guys in my band at the time.
    Everybody else hated it.

It was ahead of its time and didn't have the simple, mainstream appeal of their first album.

I think it holds up great. I think it's their best work.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Pretty much the same thing with Grooveshark. I subscribed to lose the ads, but you can listen to most anything you want for free.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

The Hey Ladies video is classic.

10. Colton

Colton Active Member

I tend to hear "Can't Fight This Feeling" probably once a week, or so, for some reason

11. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

Exactly this.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think it's the best rap album of all-time.

Draft saved Draft deleted