1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RBIs are overrated, part 1,475,382

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

Right, why the big deal? RBI's was the traditional way to pluralize it . Like WMD's and POW's.

But some people really get upset by it. I have no idea why.

2. vicd

vicd Active Member

I prefer "ribbies"

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I'll stick with RBIs because that's the way I learned it 50-some years ago. And when you quote the players, managers and coaches, they say RBIs.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's a conspiracy by the FBI and the CIA to discredit the IRA, who were secretly involved in the assassination of JFK (who, as we all know, was DOA in DFW). All of this, of course, is because Joe Dimaggio -- who was not a first-ballot HOFer despite finishing with 1,537 RBI -- was pissed that Kennedy was schtupping Marilyn Monroe (who, sadly, never lived to become a MILF).
    OK?

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but any system that purports to turn Ryan Howard into a liability has some explaining to do, That's almost as bad as Bill James' Lemke-Ruth line.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I believe there is a huge assumption that a .320 hitter will hit the same .320 with RISP; hence just because someone hits .260 like Howard, they would have driven in the same amount of RBIs as Howard.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Ryan Howard is severely overrated, but he's not *that* overrated. He's not a liability.

I'm trying to think of the factors that would cause a player to be good at this stat:

1) Good teammates batting behind them.
    2) High OBP (if there's a runner on second and no outs, giving your teammates three more chances rather than two is a big deal)
    3) Hitting a lot of singles and doubles

Am I missing anything?

8. RickStain

That is the safest assumption. Well, the safest assumption is that the .320 hitter will hit somewhere in a range of probability centered around .320 and becoming increasingly unlikely (but still possible) as you get further away.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

These debates are why baseball sucks. Let's talk more about Ben Roethlisberger!

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Low strikeout rate.

And welcome back!

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I suspect he was never away

12. RickStain

As long as I'm in your heart, I live on.

Draft saved Draft deleted