1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RBIs are overrated, part 1,475,382

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Interesting chart here measures effectiveness by the percentage of runners on from the hitter's at-bat who eventually score.

I really like this stat a lot (first I've ever seen of it). It seems like it would appeal to both new-schoolers who think that RBIs are overrated because of the teammate effect, and also old-schoolers who like to see guys cut down their swing with two strikes, hit behind the runner, etc., etc.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/archives/14054

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

It's RBI.

3. vicd

vicd Active Member

RsBI?

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I love that the comments section evolved into an argument about "RBI" or "RBIs".

As for the stat itself, I've seen worse, but as ever, there's still a lot of paralysis-by-analysis going on there.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

RBI
    Runs
    Batted
    In

Not runs batted ins

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I always felt that Bonds, not Kent, was the MVP in 2000 because Kent had nearly double the RBI opportunities than Bonds since Bonds hit ahead of him that year.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"ArrrrrrrrrrrrrrrBI."

- Blackbeard

8. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

RBI are a useful stat. Who are the top 10 greatest hitters of all time? The list of the top 10 RBI men of all time more closely matches the list of great hitters than any other non-saber stat.

The top 10 RBIs has Aaron, Ruth, Bonds, Gehrig, Musial, Cobb, Foxx, Mays, and ARod. Murray's the only one who doesn't fit.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Nobody ever insists the abbreviations should be ABs, Rs, Hs, HRs, IPs, BBs, Ws, etc.

So why RBIs?

10. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

The article you linked to actually says that Ryan Howard costs his team runs in the long run. I'd like someone to explain that. He's going to end up with around 125 RBIs and 80 runs. Costing his team runs compared to what? Pujols?

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's like wins. Useful shorthand, particularly over a long career (i.e. larger sample size to smooth out aberrations).

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Inspired.

Draft saved Draft deleted