1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ray Ring on his brother's mental illness and suicide

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Recently Ray's excellent work came up in a thread when Dave Kindred quoted a passage of one of Ring's novels. Here's his latest in the High Country News:

http://www.hcn.org/servlets/hcn.Article?article_id=17608&utm_source=newsletter1&utm_medium=email

2. Great read. tnx for posting.

3. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Indeed, a great read, but I don't care for this:

The only feel-good rush on this issue came during the 1950s to the 1970s, when nationwide reforms freed many people from long-term warehousing in mental hospitals.

Two sentences later, he says that the vast majority are on the streets (which is true, because in my town they closed a state hospital 10 years ago and I still see the former patients wandering around). So, what, "warehousing" wasn't better than having them wandering homeless on the streets?

From here to forever, I will always advocate that asylums, especially for the severely disabled, are just what is needed. I'm not blind to the fact that misdeeds did happen at mental hospitals over the years, but the majority did treat people with compassion and they received help and shelter. You tell me where they're getting it today.

The way the mentally ill have been treated for more than a hundred years is nothing short of a travesty.

Draft saved Draft deleted