1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ray Rice and the elite sports press

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Sep 8, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

They may have all called different folks, but if the NFL settled on a story they wanted to sell, they would have assigned one guy to sell it, and he would have called all of the reporters you named.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Peter King is Judith Miller.

Adam Schefter is Tom Friedman.

Mort is the Washington Post editorial board.

3. YankeeFan

So Peter King just gets to day that he blew it, and gets to move on?

No one at SI wants to weigh in on this? Does he even get a slap on the hand?

4. YankeeFan

This went over my head. I think you're trying to put it in terms I'd understand, but I'm still missing your point.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Iraq War cheerleaders were all calling "different folks." But they were all getting the same story from the administration -- on the QT, of course, because those reporters were special.

6. YankeeFan

OK. Got it.

And, maybe multiple people did talk to these reporters. It doesn't really matter. I would just assume that the NFL would only trust this job to a single person to ensure consistency.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I thought it was three.
    That way you get both sides and the truth.

8. Ok.
    Maybe Mort, Schefter, PK and others guys don't share sources. But I'll bet some overlap. And I'll also bet some of these sources were relying on second-hand info. And passed that info onto the reporters.

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

That's what got Woodstein in trouble (both have admitted it) concerning their error on Hugh Sloan's testimony regarding H.R. Haldeman being one of five controlling a secret fund.

I heard King on both Patrick and Cowherd this morning. He was contrite.

10. YankeeFan

Contrite doesn't cut it.

There has to be consequences. There's no deterrent if all you have to do is express contrition.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Fuck him.

This wasn't some isolated mistake. He's been bought and sold by the NFL for years, just like Tom Verducci is bought and sold by Major League Baseball - and gets to draw a paycheck from MLB.

Fuck them all.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

People paying attention have known King to be an NFL toady for years. Now
    the world knows.

Draft saved Draft deleted