1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ray Lewis is God's linebacker

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 8, 2006.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And Ray Lewis declared inactive today.

2. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I know a man who claims to have converted Ray Lewis.

3. While I do think the cover is over-the-top, I think it's a great story and this coming from a born-again Christian.

And let's face it, some people are just uncomfortable when it comes to athletes, or anyone for that matter, talking about God. Just look at all the people on this board who don't buy into Lewis's change. This type of stuff happens every day, but when it happens to an athlete, people are quick to dismiss it because they think it's a bunch of bull.

I've come across a few people in my life who have been through a situation like Lewis's, murder accusations and all, and I've seen them turn their life around after coming to God. But like I said before, some people just don't like to hear it, especially if it comes from an athlete.

Do I think some of them take the "religious" thing too far? Yes, no doubt. The pointing to the sky stuff and making the sign of the cross drives me crazy. Trust me, God does not care if Albert Pujols hits a 450 foot homer. And the praying for a victory stuff? I think the athletes who do that stuff are a little misguided.

So what you want about Lewis, but obviously something is keeping him out of trouble. And if he says it's God, then it's God. You can roll your eyes at it, throw up your lunch over it, or whatever. People shouldn't be criticizing others for what they truly believe in. If that's what he believes in, they let him be and figure out the problems in your own life. Everybody has them.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

God's will be done

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Coffee, meet monitor.

6. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I know. But he's a former NFL player and says the conversion's for real.

7. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

The short answer: Because so many of these athletes turn out to be phonies just using God to rehabilitate their image before slipping into more criminal mischief that we've been burned one too many times.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

(Cough, cough) Michael Irvin (cough, cough)

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Mentally or physically?

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The problem with these born again stories is that they're paint-by-numbers formulaic crap. Give me one of these stories that's ever broken any new ground. The Sports Illustrated story about Ray Lewis is no different than the SI story done 15-some odd years ago on Darryl Strawberry's spiritual rehabilitation. Template's the same.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

How'd that work out?

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Yeah, then we get some 9,000 word opus on __________ falling off the wagon. "Descent into Darkness"

Draft saved Draft deleted