1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ray Lewis in the pantheon of great linebackers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Oct 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It really is tough to compare Lewis and Taylor. I'd go with Taylor for the reason you cited, but they really played very different roles.

If you just look at middle linebackers, I'd put Lewis a little behind Butkus, but ahead anybody else I've seen, including Lambert and Singletary.

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Lewis was better at covering up murder so he has that going for him.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Of the guys I saw play? LT on the weak side. Mike Singletary in the middle. Jack Ham on the strong side (with the acknowledgement that he'd be way too small today).

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Funny thing about that, Lewis was considered small even in college, that's pretty much the only reason he lasted as long as he did in the draft, and then he ballooned to I-don't-know-how-many pounds but he looks a bit like a defensive end out there. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Too small and the game is so different and LBs were asked to do even 10 years ago.

One name pre-merger I'm surprised hasn't been brought up is Chuck Bednarik. Eight time All-Pro, played 60 minutes on both sides of the ball

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Lewis also ran something like 4.64 in the 40 which hurt him as much as size in where he was drafted. The Broncos thought John Mobley had better "tools."

I can make a schematic argument that Lewis changed the running game almost as much as Taylor changed the passing game.

Taylor is also a moron, whereas regardless of how you feel about the obstructing justice thing, Lewis is the Payton Manning of defense in terms of understanding schematics.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Junior, Chuck Bednarik Bobby Bell, Sam Huff, Roy Winston make the honorable mention all-Drip team. Incidentally, there are 22 linebackers in the NFL Hall of Fame
    Chuck Bednarik (C-LB) 1949-1962
    Bobby Bell (also DE) 1963-1974
    Nick Buoniconti 1962-1974, 1976
    Dick Butkus 1965-1973
    Harry Carson 1976-1988
    George Connor (also DT, OT) 1948-1955
    Bill George 1952-1966
    Jack Ham 1971-1982
    Chris Hanburger 1965-1978
    Ted Hendricks 1969-1983
    Sam Huff 1956-1967, 1969
    Rickey Jackson LB (also DE) 1981-1995
    Jack Lambert 1974-1984
    Willie Lanier 1967-1977
    Ray Nitschke 1958-1972
    Les Richter 1954-1962
    Joe Schmidt 1953-1965
    Mike Singletary 1981-1992
    Lawrence Taylor 1981-1993
    Derrick Thomas 1989-1999
    Andre Tippett 1982-1993
    Dave Wilcox 1964-1974

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

LT has some issues, no question there, but they guy could play and I NEVER heard a teammate say anything derogatory toward him, even during his coke years. That's how much respect people had for his football playing ability.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

No white linebacker covered as much ground in his prime as Urlacher.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

WTF is that about?

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Do you not agree?

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.