1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ray Knight arrested after early morning fight

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 23, 2017.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

You are correct, somehow forgot the '67 Sawx, and he would have been in many years earlier if not for the whole maybe he was sleepwalking maybe he was flashing people experience.

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

You would!

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Johnson was hysterical. he didn't give a shit about defense. He just wanted bats in the lineup. HoJo got some time at shortstop, and I think there was even one game where Kevin Mitchell played SS.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember reading quite a few stories about that night. Keith Hernandez, as I recall, was sitting in Davey's office drinking beer, watching the TV, and figuring the series was over. Then the Mets started making their comeback, and Hernandez thought he should head back to the dugout in case the game went longer; then changed his mind because he didn't want to jinx anything.

A couple of pitchers (I think Ron Darling was one of them) were in the clubhouse and kept NFL helmets in their lockers for fun. Then, as the team started the comeback, they put the helmets on as rally hats, and started banging their heads together.

What always gets me about that night is how the Red Sox' locker room already had the champagne in it with the lockers all covered up in plastic, and the clubhouse guys had to hurry to clear it all out. And also how the Shea Stadium scoreboard put up a "Congratulations Red Sox" screen up on the board before the game ended.

5. Baron Scicluna

Looking it up now on Baseball-Reference, Mitchell played 24 games at shortstop, starting 20, in 1986. He even played two games, starting one, at first base, and had a handful of games at third base in center field. Most of his games were in left and right.

He only played one other inning at short after that one year, in 1987 for the Giants.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Say what?
    Of course my memory is mostly shot - did Williams have a rep as being an asshole? And I don't remember this incident at all, I suspect I'll spend some time on google later.

Loved dealing with Davey in D.C. Not sure how into it he was at the end of his tenure there. He got on Drew Storen one night and the next night Storen got through an inning in five pitches. I asked him if maybe that's what Davey meant and Storen said, "You say that like I ever have any idea what Davey means."

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I didn’t remember it being that many. I was thinking he’d play 3rd, and HoJo would move over to short.

There starting SS was injured and missed a bunch of games, right? Can’t think of his name now.

It really was a fun team to watch, even as a Yankee fan.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Rafael Santana?

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Williams and the flashing thingy: WILLIAMS OFFERS AN EXPLANATION 'Arrest was misunderstanding' Frankly I thought it was a lot earlier than 2000. I thought he waited much longer after the incident to get into the HOF (2008).

Williams was definitely curmudgeonly. He'd be an asshole today, but back then, that's how managers were. He put the fear of God into Terry Francona in 1981. Check out his book, boy did he hate Mark Langston.

10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Yeah but boy did he know how to platoon guys. Mookie/Dykstra and Teufel/Backman were great combos.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I didn't go to school for two days after the Red Sox lost the series. Was in 8th grade and it scarred me

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Yep., and they promoted Kevin Elster as a September callup and put him on the playoff roster for late-inning defense.

Draft saved Draft deleted