1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Raul Mondesi headed to prison

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Former LA Dodger slugger and arm cannon Raul Mondesi will spend 8 years in a DR prison for political corruption.

Raul Mondesi sentenced to eight years in prison for corruption

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Wow. There's a name from the past. Can't say I'm entirely surprised, but I suspect Raul got himself in trouble just because he's... well, he's kind of dumb.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That fine in U.S. Dollars is about 1.3 million.

4. I was too lazy to look up the conversion. Thanks.

5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Never forget him just bailing on the pirates in 2004. He's up there with Derek Bell in the Mt. Rushmore of bad pirates of the 20 years of losing streak.

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

"Operation Shutdown" from a .173 hitter is one of my favorite moments of the last 20 years in baseball.

It's like if I declared myself off limits to Kate Upton.

studthug12, melock, Iron_chet and 7 others like this.
  7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

That picture in the story makes him look like Denzel Washington with water on the brain.

8. typefitter

This description achieves both peak hilarity and peak harshness. I salute you on your achievement. Amazing.

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

He was an all-time flake. Lived on a boat when he was with the Mets. Also stretched in the locker room while watching Judge Judy.

Hermes likes this.
  10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The Dodgers overpaid him hoping it would be a kick in the ass to motivate him to greatness. Worked just the opposite.

11. typefitter

I covered Raul in Toronto, pretty intensively. We had a good relationship, I thought, and I wrote a couple of long features about him. I remember he wanted to buy a fire truck for his hometown.

We're on the road in Kansas City. I'm standing in the clubhouse with my arms folded in front of me, the universal posture of "sportswriter waiting to talk to someone in a room full of naked men." Raul comes up to me with a dress shirt in his hands.

"Can you iron this?"

I kind of laughed.

"What?" he said.

"Raul, I'm not ironing your shirt."

"Why not?"

"What?"

"Why not?"

I uncross my arms, now assuming the universal posture of "What the fuck are you talking about?" That also revealed my BBWAA pass.

"Raul..."

He looks at my pass, and his eyes go wide. He says sorry and rushes away.

I'd covered him for a year. He had seen my face, home and away, probably 300 times.

He thought I was a fucking Kansas City clubbie.

dixiehack, CD Boogie, melock and 3 others like this.
  12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Bell's "operation shutdown" moment led to a
    Great quote from board favorite Mark Madden, something along the lines of, "Derek Bell is a real life pirate. He lives on a boat and steals money for a living."

CD Boogie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted