1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rattling the Cage of Golden Domers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boom_70, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

... never gets old.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've got to think Harbaugh and Dantonio are looking at ND as a possible W. How long is Weis locked up for at ND? How much would they have to pay him if they let him go after this season? $15 mil?

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Weis isn't going anywhere. Not with Claussen about to possibly start as a true freshman, and with everyone who doesn't have their head up their asses conceding this is a rebuilding year.

That said, someone needs to tell Weis he's gotta stop overanalyzing and overthinking shit like a woman trying to read into her boyfriend. Otherwise Jeff and the others will continue to be able to indirectly fuck with him (or at least so Weis will perceive) more than he tries to fuck with them. Weis seems to want PR and Charmin-like coverage, and, not getting it, feels like he has to gameplan for the media as well as his opponent.

4. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Yeah, Weis is safe, at least through next year. But I think he'd be a lot safer if he didn't act like such an asshole all the time.
    As for the rest of the season, they'll win 5 or 6. They've actually got a pretty decent defense (otherwise Saturday would have been a hell of a lot worse) and enough talented young'uns on offense that they'll put some points on the board once everyone's moving in the same direction. But Charlie should give the rest of the world a little credit and call this what it is: a rebuilding year.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Charlie is so arrogant he seems to think he can manipulate the media and news cycle and turn everyone into a ND toddy.

Thank goodness there are writers like Carroll with the balls to not let it happen. Thank goodness their are papers like Southbend Tribue that support their writers. As someone said earlier not all college town papers will do that.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Absolutely. Weis clearly aced Bill Belichick's Media Management Grad School Courses in Foxboro.

7. Boom_70

The part he forgot though is that you have to have some pelts first before you stage full all out media assault. Charlie has no pelts other than as assistant.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I've said it before, and I guess I'll say it again.......

I don't really like Charlie Weis' attitude (but I was never a Lou Holtz fan either, and that didn't stop me from being an ND fanboy in his era), but I've seen video of his press conferences and they seem pretty straightforward to me. I don't see the degree of snappishness you get with Parcells or Belichick.

Yeah, he's arrogant. Maybe a little less so this week, hopefully.

And I enjoy Carroll's work too.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Are you allowed to have a rebuilding year at Notre Dame? Hey, recording a first down against Georgia Tech might be a start.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I don't think you guys understand.

Charlie Weis is a GENIUS. An innovator of offense.

Notre Dame is lucky to have locked him into that 150-year deal after one season full of feasting on the service academies and other football lightweights. I mean, did you see how they almost beat Southern Cal that one time. Huh?

Any failures he has had are solely and completely the result of Tyrone Willingham not having left him any players. None. Nada. Just wait and see what happens once he's playing with just his players.

11. Blue font broken, is it?
    Great snark, though.

12. Boom_70

You have not seen enough of them then. I think there is times when he sounds like he is making hostage tape. Another few loses he will sound like a cross between Richard Nixon and Captain Queeg.

Draft saved Draft deleted