1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rate the kickball play

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by rmanfredi, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

OK, is this mandatory coed kickball, or is the woman in Clip B simply good enough to play with the boys? The reason I ask: I play coed softball, and any big play by a woman needs to be considered using VORW (value over replacement woman). If the team could have had a man out there in that spot, then I'm inclined to say it would be easier to find someone to make that play or to catch the ball outright. But if she's out there to fill the coed quota, good luck getting another woman to make that play.

Thus ends your lesson in sexism for the evening. Till next time.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

wow, my head is spinning ... but that just might be the vodka and diet dr pepper.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

We'll have to take it up with SAKR.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

+1

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

VOWR - that is fantastic.

Does VOWR get adjusted for her aesthetic value to the team picture?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They're doing it for the next Tom Emanski commercial.

"Back-to-back-to-back AAU National Kickball champs!"

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Those rollers roll the ball too bouncy. We'd have kicked them off the mound in the playground.

(Yes, mound, dammit. We had little bumps on the playground macadam. ;))

8. carrie

carrie Active Member

A dude tried to pull Play A in our kickball game on Tuesday night and broke his arm. He got laughed at, mostly because he's a grade-A, C.J. Wilson-esque MegaDouche.

As for the question about coed kickball - most leagues (I play in WAKA) require that you have a minimum eight players in the field at all time - 4 guy, 4 gals. Most other leagues operate the same way, just to keep it fair. In fact, you generally see more gals playing kickball than guys for whatever reason ... probably because it's more about the drinking and partying. There's one league that plays on our fields on Wednesday nights that requires all players in the field to be holding a beer/cocktail during play ...

9. carrie

carrie Active Member

Also - regarding the gals in video B -- you'd be surprised at how many gals are really that good. We have one team in our league (they went to the Founders Cup in Vegas) that's basically made up of former collegiate soccer players - guys and gals. It's pretty defeating when you show up to warm up pre-game and they're out there in the outfield kicking PAT-length kicks with a football while barefoot.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I don't play kickball for the competition, I play for the postgame beer.

11. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

A, but I am not sure from the clip if the catcher didn't actually get him with the throw/tag on the rebound. Ump had a better angle, though.

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted