1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rate my fantasy team

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Madhavok, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I think we had a thread like this last year, so why not start it back up? The SportsJournalists.com Part Deux draft is tonight, but I'm in one other league as I'm sure are many posters here. Let's here what you got! So without further adieu...

Was asked to play in my friend's 14-team keeper league. Had the 14th pick overall, but third pick for the first two rounds because of the teams keeping their players. Kind of don't like the setup, usually play in leagues with two RB positions and a RB/WR, not RB, RB/WR and two WR spots.. ugh. Anyway:

QB: Matt Hasselbeck
    RB: Steven Jackson
    RB/WR: Brian Westbrook
    WR: Torry Holt
    WR: T.J Houshmanzadeh
    TE: Dallas Clark
    DST: Indy
    K: Jeff Reed

Bench:
    David Garrad
    Reggie Brown
    Ricky Williams
    Benjamin Watson
    Ronald Curry
    Buffalo (fanboy pick)

I'm not thrilled, good thing I love to trade.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd say your starting lineup is OK, barring injuries. Depth is what will kill you. Ricky Williams could be a sleeper, though, and Indy's defense is always underrated. They get a lot of turnovers.
    How can you take Jeff Reed, though? Heinz Field is a graveyard for kickers, even him.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Your only weaknesses are at QB and K. Hasselbeck is a great QB, but he's always inconsistent in fantasy leagues.

4. Madhavok

With this deep of a league, everyone's bench is pretty thin. As for Jeff Reed, ya I know. There's some decent kickers hanging out on the FA wire so I'm not overly concerned right now.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I like that team a lot for a 14-team league. You have two of the top five or six RBs in the league, a reliable QB, a top-tier TE, and solid WRs. Defenses and kickers are all more or less the same. Your bench could use a little help, but Ricky Williams could be a sleeper, and you can always solidify your bench by staying on top of the waiver wire for emerging players.

6. Madhavok

The only pick I'm nervous about is Hasselbeck. I didn't want to pick him, but I usually pick the QB in the later rounds and this time I got burned. Waiting to see what's going on in the mess in Arizona since Warner is still available (with good reason).

edit: Barsuk, I'm addicted to the waiver wire.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That is one of the best teams you can get, if not the best team you can get in a 14-team format.

Jackson and Westbrook are top 5 picks in that league.
    Housh, and Holt are second rounders.

So your top four picks are among the top 28 players. Your quarterbacks are later round picks, 5-7, for Hasslebeck and Garrard, but they are in the top 10 for Fantasy QBs. In a 14 team league both your guys are above the median baseline. So you are fine there.

You also have a top 6 tight end in Clark, and a great sleeper with Watson. With Brady throwing to him you are solid. So again, you are ahead of the baseline.

Your bench might be a bit scary, but I heard Ricky Williams is going to be the starter, you might catch a break there. Curry and Brown are alright receivers in a deep league. You are kind of down on your No. 3 receiver that is the only weakness I see.

And I completely disagree with MU, that your QBs are week. You can easily play matchups all season and platoon these guys. Besides, Garrard is looking at a breakout season and the Seahawks love to throw- great for Hasslebeck.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

For a 14-team league, you have a solid, solid team.

I'm sure there are some teams that are terrible if you have that much talent.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

That team is not bad, except for Hasselback. Staying away from Seattle players at all costs this year. But in a 14 team league, its not bad.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Alcoa presents: Rate my team

QB: Rocco Baldelli
    RB: Tim Smith
    RB: Christian Okoye
    WR: Michael Westbrook
    WR: The ghost of Thurman Munson
    TE: Mike Ditka
    Flex: Art Donovan
    PK: Chip Lohmiller
    Defense/ST: 1978 Seattle Seahawks

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

How did you get Westbrook and Jackson?

12. Madhavok

Played in a keeper league. I didn't have any keepers and was the third pick before the people with keepers could pick (after that I was 14th). So when my turn came, I had back-to-back picks and took Jackson and Westbrook. The two people ahead of me went LT and AP.. Keeper RB's were: Portis, Lynch, Barber, and Gore.

Draft saved Draft deleted