1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rate my Fantasy Football draft

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HandsomeHarley, Sep 3, 2007.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Eight-team league, I drafted last. I think I did pretty well in getting Peyton Manning and Brian Westbrook.

Notes: Tony Gonzalez is my favorite player, but was the second TE drafted. ... Draft went 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1. ... Last four picks I figure are interchangeable with bye weeks and such causing me to "rent" players, so don't read much into them.

1. QB Peyton Manning (Ind)
    2. RB Brian Westbrook (Phi)
    3. WR Hines Ward (Pit)
    4. RB Brandon Jacobs (NYG)
    5. TE Tony Gonzalez (KC)
    6. WR Anquan Boldin (Ari)
    7. RB Adrian Peterson (Min)
    8. DEF Chicago Bears defense
    9. WR Joe Horn (Atl)
    10. K Jason Hanson (Det)
    11. RB LenDale White (Ten)
    12. QB Eli Manning (NYG)
    13. DEF Kansas City defense
    14. K Jason Elam (Den)

2. HandsomeHarley

OK, don't rate my Fantasy draft, then. :-[

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Your 6, 7, 8 picks are better than your 3, 4, 5 picks, IMO.

4. HandsomeHarley

That's what I wanted -- opinions.

FWIW, I may have my numbers off one or two, but I think I was pretty close. Shoulda wrote 'em down.

5. Harley, you're in an 8-member league. It hardly matters who you draft. You'll have your choice of free agents to choose from throughout the season. When you get to 12- and 14- member leagues, it's slim pickings and the draft is a whole lot more important.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

OK, mind-numbingly slow day at work, so here goes:

If your league give 6 points for passing TDs, getting Manning at 8 is a steal. If it's just 4 points per passing TD, it's still a good pick.

As for Westbrook, despite having a hell of a year last year, he scares the hell out of me. I just can't see him carrying the load for another season and remaining injury-free. I've been wrong before, though.

I'm not sure Ward is even the best receiver, from a fantasy standpoint, on his team.

I have no idea what to think of Brandon Jacobs.

Gonzales is in the twilight of his career and doesn't have anyone throwing to him.

If you did get Boldin at 6, that's a steal. He'll have some huge games with Fitzgerald drawing attention away from him. Slight injury concern.

I think (as well as hope) that Peterson will be the rookie of the year. Ya, he was injury-prone in college, but he's a bull with breakaway speed. He'll make people forget about Chester Taylor in a hurry.

With Hester returning kicks, the Bears D/STs will be automatic points each week and will occasionally be the highest-scoring spot on your roster.

7. ChrisLittmann

ChrisLittmann Member

For an eight-team league, you've got incredibly weak running backs.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I agree with Pallister on Ward. He's a reach in the third round. Since you got Boldin at No. 6, though, they pretty much cancel out. Good job on Manning and Westbrook. That's the beauty of picking last in that type of draft. Hope I get that lucky in my draft tomorrow.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

As for having weak running backs, someone told me the same thing in 2001 when I drafted Ahman Green before his first big season, a rookie named Tomlinson and a new Chiefs running back named Priest Holmes. Of course, had I had those guys two years later I would likely have gone undefeated. But my point is that you can't always tell at first glance how weak (or strong) a roster may be. I think by midseason Peterson will be getting 20 carries a game, and if Westbrook stays healthy, he's fine. Jacobs probably won't be a stud, but I doubt Ruben Droughns steals many carries from him. I'd be more worried about receiver. Ward and Horn are past their prime.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

To be fair, Harley, I'll throw my latest team out there for analysis and/or ridicule.

12-team league with the fourth overall pick
    Peyton Manning
    Cedric Benson
    Reggie Wayne
    Adrian Peterson
    Deuce McAllister
    Santonio Holmes
    DeAngelo Williams
    Bernard Berrian
    L.J. Smith
    Vikings defense/ST
    Matt Schaub
    Patrick Crayton
    Owen Daniels
    Stephen Gostkowski
    Jason Hanson
    Texans defense/ST

11. HandsomeHarley

I was in a 12-team league once and that was brutal. I think I picked third overall, got LJ, but nothing else.

I hated picking eighth (for the second year in a row, too), but was happy with who I got.

I went with Westbrook because he was a surprise waiver pick a year ago and my other surprise waiver pick, Frank Gore, was taken.

Agree on Peterson. And Ward.

I'm not a Boldin fan, but figure he'll get lots of passes on a bad team with a good-armed QB.

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Recent 12-team, 12 roster spots draft ... got third pick. We score only TDs; no yardage.

Tony Romo

Steven Jackson
    Willis McGahee
    Ahman Green
    Lendale White

Marques Colston
    Andre Johnson
    Hines Ward
    Vincent Jackson
    D.J. Hackett

Jason Elam

Chicago Bears defense