1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ratatouille

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Twoback, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Mizzou's pick for the best film to date of 2007 didn't even hold up two weeks.
    Your best film so far this summer is Ratatouille, which may be the best ingenious animated film of the past three decades. It's not unusual for a movie set in a beautiful city to make you long to visit the place. Rat leaves you dying to visit Paris, and it's a freaking cartoon.
    Brad Bird is one creative dude.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Spup cannot pronounce the name of this movie. It's pretty funny, actually.

3. Agreed on all counts. This is the best movie Pixar's done IMO and the way they make Paris look at night is just gorgeous. I am of a fan of Patton Oswalt's comedy and his character "Spence" from the "King of Queens" so it was odd in a good way to hear him voicing the main character.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Took my son to see it over the weekend and he stayed glued to his seat the entire time. There were also plenty of opportunities for me to laugh as well, and the whole cooking theme left me freaking hungry by the time the credits were rolling.

5. Our movie reviewer said it was average.

He hates movies, I think.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

See the movie and you'll see just what they think of reviewers, be they movie or food critics.

And I can honestly say I've ever ONCE used a movie review to decide whether or not to actually, y'know, watch a movie.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Saw it on the its opening weekend and it was fabulous. Bright, witty, funny. The animation, as usual, was incredible. I thought it was 10 times better than Shrek the Third.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Still haven't seen Shrek the Third, although Little Man did as part of a day-care field trip. He liked it, but he also likes the original Batman Movie with Adam West and Burt Ward (Burgess Meredith, Lee Meriwether, Frank Gorshin, Cesar Romero...)

On second thought, maybe he has better taste than I give him credit for...

9. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I love Pixar & I love Patton Oswalt, but I didn't like Ratatouille as much as previous Pixar movies. It seemed to drag on and I just wasn't as entertained as I was watching other Pixar flicks. It was still better than Shrek the Third. :p

10. Born to Run

Born to Run Member

I'm with Storm. I have no complaints about the movie. I enjoyed it, but I wasn't as high on it as many on the board.
    I didn't think it was all that funny.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Sorry for the minor threadjack... Haven't seen Ratatouille yet. But I did see License to Wed with the wife yesterday and we both loved it. We also both enjoyed Shrek the Third. So Ratatouille will be added to the list of movies we need to get out and see.

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Why is a cartoon two hours and 20 minutes long? Haven't seen it, and I'd still like to, but if a big part of your target audience is children, why so long? I thought "Cars" was long for kids at 1:45, and this one is freaking "Gettysburg" by comparison. It's called editing: look into it.

Draft saved Draft deleted