1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rasmussen poll: Reporters are trying to help Obama win

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lyman_Bostock, Jul 21, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I never denied writers lean left.

So answer the question Zag. Do you really believe the DECISION-MAKERS--the ones who dictate coverage and policy and all that--lean left? Do you really believe the conservative voice has been drowned out over the last eight years by the angry liberal media?

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

THAT'S DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

These same people polled probably think that all reporters write their own headlines and that the Associated Press is run by the government.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Who are the decision-makers?

Is it the editorial boards or the publishers or the corporations?

I don't really know, I'd say it probably differs.

All I can say is at my shop the editorial board is very left-leaning and it reflects in our coverage of all things political.

They don't own the paper, they aren't paying the bills, but they wield the big stick when it comes to decision making -- which is why this whole "well the corporations that own the papers are owned by conservatives and that's what matters......" is silly because it makes the assumption that every corporate entity or publisher is playing the role of the puppet master and that's just not the case.

And there is no question that THOSE WRITING and EDITING the actual articles are overwhelmingly left-leaning and beyond and if you don't think that has any bearing on the content of said articles you are either incredibly naive or just living in a state of denial so beyond reality that there is nothing that could ever be said to bring you back.......

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Dude, once again: I never said I doubted that writers lean left.

But if you really think the Powers That Be are going to allow anything too inflammatory and critical to appear...well, then how do you explain the minimal resistence to Bush's unfettered path of destruction the last eight years? How do you explain the proliferation of Media For Conservatives during a Republican administration?

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Yes, the left-leaning media elites have managed to keep Republicans out of the White House for exactly eight of the last 28 years! Those liberal, fellow-traveling Themocrats must have a hammerlock on the mind of the American electorate!

And, having read Sen. McCain's OpEd piece on Drudge, I see that he does not, in fact, define "victory" in Iraq.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

All that proves is that people don't give a rat's ass what the media says and more importantly the media is way out of step with mainstream America....

Nah, couldn't be that.....

8. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Hmmm ... no capital letters. Are you wavering in your beliefs?

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

So either it's supremely important that journalists lean left, and therefore influence American thinking; or it doesn't matter at all because no one listens to them.

Which is it?

10. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Once again, I don't give a fuck if every reporter in America carries an ACLU card.

The only measure of bias, one way or the other, is located in the news that is put out for public consumption. Anything else is misdirection. Period.

And if you try to make a case for mainstream media bias against John McCain -- and, three pages in, that's a cross no one has taken on -- by any sane measure of what has been put out for consumption, you're in for some tough sledding.

From tax returns to wackjob spiritual advisors to foreign policy knowledge to campaign finance to who speaks for a candidate and who doesn't, the rules have been different for McCain.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Zag, if you consider your wing-nut views "mainstream America," I want to be as far out of step as possible.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You really don't think Rupert Murdoch has a major say in what stories his news networks and newspapers can and cannot print?

Or would that put you in the incredibly naive and living in a state of denial catagory?

Draft saved Draft deleted