1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rasmussen poll: Reporters are trying to help Obama win

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lyman_Bostock, Jul 21, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

THAT'S NOT FUNNY!!!!!

2. Yeah, I've read it, and I'm sure a lot more people have read it than would have read it in the Times now that it's been published by Drudge.

He attacked Obama in there just like Obama attacked McCain in his piece, but he also laid out his reasons why he thought we shouldn't withdraw troops just yet and why the surge has been working. Even though Shipley said that his piece didn't have a timetable (as if his plan HAD to have a timetable), it did have a timetable because he said troops would be home by 2013.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nah, i laughed.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

But that's mostly just because the number of whacko liberals (those on the lunatic fringe, those who drink the kool-aid) on this board outnumber the number of neo-conservatives by about 10 to 1 by my count.......though despite that staggering disparity on a message board of journalists "THERE IS NO BIAS IN THE MEDIA........"

5. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Do you believe using ALL-CAPS somehow makes your argument more effective or authoritative?

Does my typing ZAGOSHE IS A DOUCHEBAG WHO IS ONLY HERE TO PISS OFF PEOPLE in ALL-CAPS make it more true?

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your pamphlet.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

So you disagree that the decision-makers are Republicans? You disagree that the conservative media has expanded greatly in an era of American disenfranchisement with the Republican president?

8. zagoshe

No, ALL-CAPS are used in this case in lieu of the quote function because that's what liberals around here scream day after day after day........

Sort of like THAT'S DIFFERENT!!!!!

9. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

What is a liberal? Please explain the concept to me.

10. zagoshe

Um........(I know, I know -- THAT'S DIFFERENT!!!)

Four Times as Many Journalists Self-Define as Liberal than Conservative

By John Jalsevac

March 19, 2008 (LifeSiteNews.com) - A recent study by the Pew Research Center has revealed that journalists are far more likely to define themselves as liberal than the general population, and far less likely to define themselves as conservative.

The massive study was conducted late last year, and surveyed the views of over 500 journalists.

"As was the case in 2004," reads the commentary on the study by the Pew Research Center, "majorities of the national and local journalists surveyed describe themselves as political moderates; 53% of national journalists and 58% of local journalists say they are moderates. About a third of national journalists (32%), and 23% of local journalists, describe themselves as liberals. Relatively small minorities of national and local journalists call themselves conservatives (8% national, 14% local)."

Commentary by the popular Newsbusters website suggested that the statistics do not even fully describe the imbalance in the media, pointing out, "It's not much of a leap to presume many of the 53 percent who describe themselves as 'moderate' are really quite liberal."

The study also found that internet journalists in particular tend to be more liberal than other journalists. "Fewer than half (46%) call themselves moderates, while 39% are self described liberals and just 9% are conservatives."

The study compared these figures with the figures for the general population, saying: "Among the population as a whole, 36% call themselves conservatives - more than triple the percentage of national and internet journalists, and more than double the percentage of local journalists. About four-in-ten (39%) characterized their political views as moderate, while 19% are self-described liberals, based on surveys conducted in 2007 by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press."

Amy Mitchell, deputy director of Pew Research Center, said that the findings are the same as they were when a similar study was conducted in 2004. The numbers also reflect the findings of other similar studies.

The disproportion in the beliefs of journalists has also reflected itself in public attitudes towards the press. "Among those who feel that their daily newspaper has become worse," says the study, "the number who blame bias, and particularly liberal bias, has grown from 19% in 1996 to 28% in 2006."

11. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Wow, if ever there was a misleading headline to a story, this is it.

Draft saved Draft deleted