1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rarest sight in baseball?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mike311gd, Jun 15, 2007.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I cannot find this anywhere, but I do remember reading that near the end of his career Neal Heaton went more than a month without any player swinging and missing at one of his pitches. That is the definition of meat.

I think I saw Duane Kuipers' homer on TV, back when ABC had Monday night baseball.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Something I didn't know until some random Retrosheet browsing the other night: The major-league record for walks issued by one pitcher in a game is 12. Both occurred in 1961. And in both cases, the guy who walked 12 was the winning pitcher.

Somehow, I doubt that'll ever happen again.

It's not an individual-game accomplishment, but I also doubt anyone will ever match Anthony Young's 27-game losing streak. I was there for No. 25. He gave up a leadoff single, balked him to second and allowed him to move to third somehow. (Grounder to the right side, I think.) He then proceeded to retire the next 22 batters before giving up a bloop single and a two-run home run in the eighth to lose to an Andy Benes one-hitter.

3. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Was that when Heaton was throwing the beloved screw-knuckle-change?

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Anyone under the age of 25 playing this stupid boring ass game. NBA rooooolz!!! [/little Chucky Taylor]

5. pallister

pallister Guest

The White Sox offense.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

besides the obvious of Cy Young's career losses mark, I'd say 15 complete games in a year. and sadly for the fans a same-ticket double-header.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Derek Jeter's range.

8. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

A.J. Burnett got close. I think he walked nine in a no-hitter a few years ago.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Happened in a Reds game this year although it was the opposite outcome. He didn't get ANYONE out. Ump blew the call, however, and ended up calling one of them out and one safe, I believe. (Didn't see it happen live, so i'm going off a shaky memory here. Anyone who can correct me, feel free to chime in.)

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I cannot find the clip on youtube, but didn't This Week in Baseball run a shot of two Yankees getting called out at the plate in it's intro?

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

THIS was the rarest sight in baseball, because it only happened once. Back in the early 90s,the Twins were the only team ever to turn two triple plays in one game. Did it one night at Fenway against the Sox.

12. chazp

chazp Active Member

[blue]A manager who's not overweight.[/blue]

Draft saved Draft deleted