1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rarest sight in baseball?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mike311gd, Jun 15, 2007.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's got to be a player who made a great play in the field leading off the next inning.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

yeah i like thinking about rare stuff that happens in individual games rather than the entire season stuff.

i saw inside the park home runs in back-to-back games but that's only applicable to me - i went to a game in 2006 and the next regular season game i went to was early this season and in both games i saw someone hit an inside the park home run. weird.

i'd love to see a steal of home in person, too. not a delayed steal but a straight steal.

i'd also love to see a suicide squeeze in person. i think you can count the number of suicide squeezes in the majors in a given year on one hand.

3. I remember reading a story in SI, I believe, about Boggs in his prime. I wish I could remember the number, but it said he swung and missed fewer than 20 times one year. Hell, it may have been fewer than 10.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

A Duane Kuiper home run. Once in 1,057 games.

A Hoyt Wilhelm home run. On his first MLB at-bat, and then never again.

I saw a 5-4-3 triple play in college several years ago. That's certainly not unprecedented, but there aren't many around-the-horn TPs.

5. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Xanny, that was my preseason prediction - Dodgers and BoSox

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Saw Rod Carew do it when Billy Martin was managing.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The same pitcher also gave up No. 71 and 72 to Bonds to break McGwire's record.

He also gave up a homer to Cal Ripken Jr. in Ripken's final All-Star Game.

He did give a nice flying kick to Tim Belcher once, however.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Didn't Harry remind Steve Stone of this home run on occasion?

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

In the same game I saw the cycle hit in the first four trips to the plate by a batter (Jefferies) and a grand slam by a pitcher (Juden).

10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

As a once dedicated reader of the Elias and Bill James books, the number 12 sticks in my mind. I wouldn't even make a Wikipedia entry based on my recollection, but that's what jumped out of my brain bucket.

Edit: And I would be absolutely stunned if Vander Meer's record is broken, tied perhaps, but not broken. That's the one completely untouchable record in sports, IMO.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I read as a kid about Ewell Blackwell's bid to tie Vander Meer in the 1940s. He came damn close. We'll see if Verlander can do it — Kruk said on Baseball Tonight he thinks he can.

12. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

A skinny umpire

Draft saved Draft deleted