1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rarest sight in baseball?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mike311gd, Jun 15, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I was looking through the AP wire and noticed that today is the anniversary of Johnny Vander Meer's second straight no-hitter, and I got to thinking: What is the one thing you don't think will ever happen again in the majors?

I'd have to say consecutive no-hitters by the same pitcher is up there. Stealing 130 (or the record, 138) bases might be a stretch anymore, although there is quite a bunch of speed out there now.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Consecutive hit streak, possibly.

Or two months going by with no live Yankees or Red Sox games broadcast on ESPN.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

An infielder who doesn't touch himself after every pitch.

4. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Any of the long-standing pitching records: career wins and strikeouts, especially. No one will ever throw enough innings to touch Young and Ryan.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Norm MacLean passing up a buffet line.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I never thought I'd see someone hit 2 grand slams in one inning till I saw Tatis do it against, sigh, the Dodgers.

I'd love to see a perfect game with 27 strikeouts.

I'd love to see someone steal 2nd, 3rd and home in the same inning.

I'd love to see someone hit the cycle of homers in one game: 1-run, 2-run, 3-run, granny.

I'd love to see the Dodgers and BoSox in the World Series.

7. I heard a talking head on ESPN News ask Verlander: "Why do you think it's so difficult to throw back-to-back no-hitters?" Luckily, he bailed himself out to save the poor kid from having to answer that question.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

As late as 1985 (John Tudor, St. Louis) there was a pitcher with 10 shutouts in a season. Really hard to imagine that ever happening again, and that's not even a record. Heck, a guy today who has five complete games in a season is a workhorse.

9. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Saw it once, probably won't again, but it was cool: Two no-hitters on the same day.

10. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Someone has done the first thing that mentioned with the steals, and a local product at Wilmington College in Delaware did the second in a playoff game, in a row.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Willie Mays Hayes did it in "Major League 2," and I believe we've all seen it dozens of times.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Doubtful it's really a "dozen" times if it's Major League 2 we're talking about. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted