1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rare Sports Items

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KevinmH9, Feb 10, 2009.

1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Rare. Hmmm. I suppose complete team sets of Bills football cards from 1960-90 might not be too common, and I'm close to a complete run of their media guides. Other than that, a few authentic jerseys, AFL-era pennants and posters, stuff like that. (Remember, hardcore fangirl here.)

But even though I've been out of autograph-collecting mode for a long time, I still have one item to follow up on. Billy Shaw signed a hat for me the autumn before he was elected to the Hall of Fame, and I promised him I'd have him add "HOF 99" at some point. I've talked to him at least 10 times since then (including once for an interview), and every time, he wonders whatever happened to that hat. One of these years ...

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I have one of these. Hell, maybe they made a million of them for saps like me, but I like to think it's rare.

[​IMG]

(in case it's too small to see, it's a 1994 WS ball)

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I have one of those from 2005. Gold print, not red.
    I have a few pictures, and a Fridge signed mini-helmet. Nothing rare.

4. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

The only thing I really have is an autographed basketball that reads: 'Madhavok, best wishes on your 16th birthday.'
    Signed by John Wallace, Byron Scott and Marcus Camby. My mom bought the basketball and gave it to one her coworkers who went to the NBA draft way back then with Wallace in mind to sign it. Camby and Scott apparently were jealous and wanted to get in on it.

It's been sealed ever since, sitting in NY.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I think you might be missing the hook. The 1994 World Series. The one that was never played. That's why I think it might be rare.

6. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I've got a football signed by Jimmy Johnson (the coach not the driver) and a football signed by Lee Roy Selmon.

That's about it.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

It would be much better if you had a football signed by the driver Jimmy Johnson.

In 1996, my future wife and I were at spring training. She had a baseball with a Yankees logo on it and saw a superstar from the other team signing autographs by the dugout. She worked her way down there and got him to sign it. Looked pretty good when Cecil Fielder was acquired by the Yankees four months later.

8. Tommy_Dreamer

It was a gift so I'm not complaining :D And the Selmon ball is decorated with his restaurant logo and in USF Bulls colors. I think some high-ranking sj dude on here went to USF but I'm not sure. I am sure he'd like that ball though :D

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The driver spells it Jimmie. [/exnascardork]

10. Tommy_Dreamer

I'm a dope :D

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Tim Tebow's soul. I bought it for a doughnut.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Everything I've had signed has decreased in value...

-Michael Vick Rookie card
    -Mike McMahon helmet - can't even give it away
    -Corey Schlesinger pennant - ditto
    -Edgar Renteria bat - Worth about as much as Renteria himself.

Draft saved Draft deleted