1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rare Sports Items

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KevinmH9, Feb 10, 2009.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I was walking around town today after grabbing some lunch and I walked by an old sports collectibles shop that I hadn't been to in awhile. It was cold out so I thought I'd stop inside and look around and see if anything interested me. I found some signed bats, helmets, photos, etc., but none of which I could afford. I ended up buying a new ball cap and some baseball cards with my hope that I'd find a Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams or some other rare card.

Anyone own some kind of rare sports memorabilia that you keep in your house that you got at a game or that you've purchased?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

David Wright's jock strap. I keep it under my pillow.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Just my Brook Jacoby jersey, my autographed Brook Jacoby hat and my game-used Brook Jacoby bat.

4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Well maybe a baseball, football or hockey puck that you got signed by a player as a kid or a baseball bat that flew into the stands or something like that. I guess you can't really classify that as rare, but items along those lines

5. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I saw a mini Cowboys helmet hand-painted by Peter Max. Couldn't afford it then, couldn't afford it now.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

A pennant reading "CHICAGO CUBS 1984 NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONS"

[/dead to 21/Cadet/Armchair_QB/Doc] :D :D

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ehh, doesn't seem so rare to me. I gave away all but one or two of the BP balls I've caught.

I got a splintered bat from Robbie Wine once when I was a kid. I'd say that's pretty rare. :D

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Guess what, you jerk, I actually have 1984 Cubs World Series tickets.

Probably won't use them.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd make a Tom Nevers crack, Bucky, but let's face it, 72,000 autographed 1991 Score cards don't exactly make for a rare item. :D :D :D

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

i was given a jim leyritz bat once at a game, but it burned up. my family once gave torre, zimmer and a traveling secratary a ride from the kingdome to a restaurant in downtown seattle. that's pretty rare.

11. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

They probably would look cool framed, actually. Similarly, I have a Chicago Blackhawks 1971 Stanley Cup Champions pennant somewhere. They actually sold them to goofy kids like me the next season, never mind the result of Game 7 against Les Canadiens.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Did you know he hit .313-13-77 in 2002 with the Lookouts? Best season he's ever had. I smell a comeback ...

http://www.minors.sabrwebs.com/cgi-bin/person.php?milbID=nevers001tho

Draft saved Draft deleted