1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rare nice thing to say about ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, Apr 3, 2007.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

ravech is great. kurkjian is terrific. kruk is tolerable. i never thought i'd say this but i miss harold reynolds.

are orestes destrade and jeff brantley back this season? destrade adds nothing. his inane cliches are brutal. i've never heard an intelligent comment out of his mouth. all he can do is give the usual platitudes about a guy being a "gamer" or "grinder" and shit like that.

brantley is ok, i guess, but he sinks to destrade's lows when they're on together.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Guess I feel asleep at the wheel. Care to tell the lazy eye joke?

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

Mayne said somebody was lazier than Stuart Scott's eye.........can't remember who he said it about though.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

According to rumor (I haven't been able to find out for myself), Brantley replaced Steve Stewart as Marty Brennaman's sidekick on Cincinnati Reds radio broadcasts this year. Brantley at least was doing ST.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Brantley is doing Reds radio broadcasts this year with Marty and Thom Brennaman. Steve Stewart was doing Reds pregame TV yesterday.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

so which former players besides kruk and destrade will we see on BBTN this season?

btw, does anyone else agree with me that buster olney should stick to .com and radio?

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

According to legend, it was over a clip of Manny Ramirez not running out a ground ball, IIRC.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I've yet to see Brantley on there, but I always liked him. Met him last year when Clemens pitched in Lexington...seemed like a nice guy.

9. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

It wasn't for a lack of trying. I thought Baseball Tonight was going to suck balls when Reynolds was let go and Gammons got sick, but Kruk got better and Kurkjian was a more than adequate replacement for PG.

BB2N is helped because the baseball staff at ESPN really is the most knowledgeable--at least the studio staff. You've got Gammons and Kurkjian and Olney (who isn't a great fit for TV but still knows his stuff), Kruk is good, and Ravech is the best host they have on any of these shows.

Draft saved Draft deleted