1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rapist contacts victim 21 years later; victim presses charges

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by buckweaver, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

One question is: Is it better that he wrote to her or not?

Since he's going to do time as a result, I tend to think it's better that he did.

I'm a Christian, and I readily admit I'm glad he's going to pay.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

It is a great read, but that's curious timing for this story. I had already seen the dateline piece, which, honestly, was more compelling than this article, even though it's the same story. The only thing new about it is the conviction, which happened four months ago. I feel for her; this is brutality on an undefined level. But why is it coming out again now?

3. busuncle

busuncle Member

I wondered about this, too. I remember learning about this case a few years ago.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Those people, in my opinion, aren't Christians at all. Admonishing and condemning her for pressing charges is just wrong. It isn't their place to condemn/admonish in the first place.

It's people like that that make he hate being a Christian. I hate being associated with those kinds of people just because I'm a Christian. The world would be a much better place without stuff like that.

And I, too, had tears in my eyes reading this. I hate reading stuff about women being raped and the rapist not "owning up", so to speak. This guy deserves a much longer sentence than two years and UVA should be ashamed for not doing anything about this 20 years ago.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The article says he's going to be sentenced in March. Also, the investigation is ongoing. There might be other indictments.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Found a picture of the guy

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Thanks, Luggy. Just struck me as a little weird.

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Good story. We ran it as our centerpiece on A1 today.

9. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

To say the least. And that means this story could get even more interesting.

You might have guys with a wife, kids and mortgage who could be suddenly tried and hauled off to jail for years for one night of alcohol- and frat bullshit-induced stupidity more than 20 years ago. Kudos to Virginia for not having a statute of limitations on such crimes.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

That was the first thing I thought after reading the story.

11. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Not to be callous, but I have thought about righting a wrong I made in college. My freshman year, I opened a huge Tupperware container filled with my roommate's cookies and handed them out to friends on my dorm floor. My roommate was a 300-pounder who nearly won a state wrestling title. He was Revenge of the Nerds material, and he pinned me to the floor in our dorm room for a good five minutes one night. So I decided to eat the cookies his grandma baked for him. I figure I owe him a big batch of cookies.

12. I'm not sure I agree with the deal prosecutors gave him. They'll have an uphill battle getting convictions on just the rapist's word, unless they can somehow get his buddies to confess without any other evidence (story doesn't mention DNA taken from a rape kit - not even sure they did it or keep that stuff from 84) or victim's testimony ... didn't sound like she remembered much of anything else.

If I'm a defense attorney I just get the rapist on the stand, make him repeat he's a confessed rapist and ask him if he got a deal in exchange for hanging my client out to dry ... even current rape cases with DNA samples can be hard to win because every freakin jury of our peers expect the evidence to come out looking like frickin' CSI ...

In summary, unless these other guys have a guilty conscience, they're going to walk and this prick is out in two years, if he ever goes in.

Draft saved Draft deleted