1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rap is old, not old school, just old

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Oct 21, 2006.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'm rolling my eyes at this, and I don't even like rap.

Like all genres, there's good and bad. Few things sound as awful to me as bad rap -- but to suggest that the best in the field have no musical talent is silly.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Shit newbie, you need to get me a beer, because I've written much dumber shit than that on here.

And hell yes Jay-Z is a sellout. Do a search for Jay-Z on here, I wrote something about that.

Sorry to offend your crush on Cube. I like Cube.

But can we dispense with the argument that so-and-so is better because they found a way to make more money? Who cares? If someone is pissing all over their artistic credibility to make a buck that's not noble, and worse for the artists, it's fleeting.

I don't think you'll have to live long for that. If I had the scratch, I'm thinking Diddy would come and drop some rhymes in our budget meetings.

3. The Basement

The Basement Member

you're crazy. you need good vocals to rap. "imjust" is right. rappers that dont have that "it" voice, they're done.
    Unlike a Vince Neil, who can skate by with a shitty singing voice because of the instruments - rappers have no curtain to hide behind.

you say that just to make a beat, you have to be adept at computers ... so how do they lay a drum beat down, or the bass line? the same way an actual drummer does. they fiddle with the sound, with rhythms....

and you say moderate talent to write lyrics: good lyrics, or just lyrics? it takes only moderate talent to write a country song lyric - a rock lyric - a punk lyric - the great ones have more than just "moderate talent."

And Bubbler - i didnt mean someone was 'better' for finding a way to make more money - those guys i mentioned have slipped as artists. i thought when Cube dropped his latest album it was literally a joke, until i saw that he actually did drop an album.

usually - those that go that route always slip artistically - kind of like Wilbon, Kornheiser, Stephen A. and all those that added radio/TV to their plate - the writing slipped.

Draft saved Draft deleted