1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rap is old, not old school, just old

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Oh, for you old-schoolers, I believe it's usually 701 on our Comcast digital cable (at least it is on mine) to get your Jungle Brothers/Dana Dane fix. Though I have yet to hear Young and Restless' classic, "B Girls."

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Well that's like saying all the lead singers couldn't play instruments. Sure, some did, but some only sang.

Expecting one person to play all the instruments for one song, let alone an entire catalog, is insane.

And just because things are different doesn't mean it's shit. When guitars first came to be used electrically, well, I'll be, that's just screaming noise!

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'm going to go out on a limb here and admit I liked the MC Lyte tribute.

4. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

andre 3000's ability to pick up an instrument and learn to play it in a matter of hours has been compared to brian jones' ability to do the same.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

skin flute doesn't count as an instrument, does it?

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Well, you never requested a list before ...

Beastie Boys -- Adrock (guitar, organ, piano, keyboard), Mike D (bass, organ, piano), MCA (drums)
    Andre3000 -- Guitar, bass, drums, keyboard, etc.
    The Roots -- Well, they're a band, only the frontman raps. You figure that one out.

... As for any current top-40 resident of Hip-Hop who could play chopsticks on the piano, I haven't checked on that. But the guess is no one in the top 40 period can play chopsticks on the piano. At least I know Nick Lachey can't.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Don't forget Kanye West, Oz, as far as piano-playing rappers go.

8. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

The Ultramagnetic MCs and Stetsasonic played their own instruments.

9. I say this every couple of months, but this is the greatest handle/icon quote in SportsJournalists.com history.
    Jacko? Not so much for the sig, but Z-man....

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I never said one person should play all instruments. Obviously, one can't. But the members of a band all had one great musical talent, or one would be the great vocalist. By the way, in addition to modern rappers likely being unable to play a musical instrument, none of them are great vocalists. Doesn't take a good voice to rap ... you just have to have a good line of bull. 100 years, someone who would have gone into rap would have been a cattle auctioneer.

Let's make it clear: I think rap is a very lucrative commercial endeavor. It takes some moderate talent to write the lyrics. To lay down the tracks requires that you be adept in computers and other electronic equipment, which doesn't take musical talent.

It's an entertainment genre. But don't make the mistake of putting the words hip-hop or rap in the same sentence with the word music. It's not music.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

If you think it doesn't take a good voice to rap, you're crazy. I'm on beat, I know every word, and I sound like a fucking tool.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

:) :D ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted